• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Which plywood should I use for my custom cage?

Cshelt11

From an earlier post I made..........
I use oak 3/4 4 by 8 foot sheets. Its expensive ,45 dollars a sheet, but I plan on never building them again. The Oak is really nice and stains well. You will not need to use supports if you use 3/4. I use one sheet for the top one for the bottom and rip 2 others at 8 inches for the back and front, the 2 8 inchers go top and bottom on the front then I use one of the 8 foot sections I ripped for the back. I then use the other 8 footer I ripped and cut it in half and use it for the sides.
I also use pressure treated 2x6s, coated with Drylok before installed then once together everything gets 2 coats of Drylok, in the front to keep the glass edges away from prying claws and then use w channel to set the sliding glass in.
What are the final dimensions of this cage. 4x2x8?

Chris & Stitches

I use 1/2 inch pvc plastic sheets and trim for everything.lifetime materials.75 for a 4x8 sheet but if you have big lizards you can’t have a “budget” ive learned.a budget is never best for your animals

Chris & Stitches

I have “wasted” thousands on trial and error, and I have more thermostats and lights and heat pads and other gadgets than most pet stores.I’m not saying you have to spend a fortune, but it’s good to have a lot of extra stuff too.I’ve been able to add other animals to my collection on sight without having to do anything but use things I have laying around.I have backup thermostats on all my enclosures on a different circuit so if that room blows the breaker and the heat gets to 70 backup heaters run off another breaker (we get very cold here in va) but anyways ball out and you won’t regret it

Cshelt11

I used 3/4 inch birch cabinet grade plywood and finished it all off with the best natural sealer i can find. It was 250 finished minus the plexi which was a scrap find. The tank is 8'x4'x40".
In the late future I plan on buying an apcages T100

Cshelt11

hey guys,

I was wondering if this plywood is safe and ok to use-7/16 in. x 2 ft. x 4 ft. Pine Oriented Strand Board Plywood from home depot....it will be coated with 3-4 layers of drylock.. I keep hearing its toxic but I believe Dubya said it would be safe if its plywood+coated with drylock.
I used cabinet grade blondewood. About 45 for a 3/4" sheet. Needed 3 sheets and a 1/4" sheet for the top board

Attachments

• Resized_20201112_035354(5).jpeg
    Resized_20201112_035354(5).jpeg
    621 KB · Views: 31
  • 20201201_040408.jpg
    20201201_040408.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 32

Cshelt11

From an earlier post I made..........
I use oak 3/4 4 by 8 foot sheets. Its expensive ,45 dollars a sheet, but I plan on never building them again. The Oak is really nice and stains well. You will not need to use supports if you use 3/4. I use one sheet for the top one for the bottom and rip 2 others at 8 inches for the back and front, the 2 8 inchers go top and bottom on the front then I use one of the 8 foot sections I ripped for the back. I then use the other 8 footer I ripped and cut it in half and use it for the sides.
I also use pressure treated 2x6s, coated with Drylok before installed then once together everything gets 2 coats of Drylok, in the front to keep the glass edges away from prying claws and then use w channel to set the sliding glass in.
Thanks for the design I built my enclosure based off this and it came out great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602