• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Whey protein dusting

Which Australian lizard?

• Large Goanna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dwarf monitor

• Blue tongue

• Beardies or eastern water dragons

• Frillies

• Geckos

• Total voters

Adrian Q

I recently acquired some whey protein and I was wondering if feeder insects could be dusted in it along with what I'm already using.

I would go ahead but it is made from cheese which lizards don't do well with

dpjm

5 Year Member
I wouldn't. It is a dairy product, like you said and who knows how well they will digest it.

You don't need to gut-load or supplement insects with protein, they are already high in protein. Protein is not usually one of the nutrients that you should be concerned about, if they eat insects and whole vertebrate prey they are already getting enough protein. Be more concerned about vitamins and minerals, especially with insects, which are very deficient in calcium.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Once again, totally with dpjm on this. Reptiles do not have the enzymes to properly deal with dairy products, such nutrient sources are likely to just ferment in their guts and cause discomfort.

As for the protein angle, a little while ago there was concern by Allen Repashy on the effects of his newly developed Bug Burger on feeder cockroaches (http://www.store.repashy.com/can-feeder-insect-diets-contribute-to-gout-in-reptiles.html). Now, if you read through this, you may ask "so what has this got to do with my situation?", as his concern was about how high protein supplementation to cockroaches leads to an increase in stored uric acid in the roach, which can then lead complications that lend towards gout when fed to lizards. Thing of it is, in many organisms (including reptiles) it is often been thought that excessive protein levels in the diet can lead to health issues, particularly concerning the kidneys. Most organisms do quite well for protein in their regular diets, they really don't need the supplementation of added dense protein content. With captive reptiles, most people should be more concerned with supplementing vitamins, minerals, and UVB.

Adrian Q

Ok thank you! And I am well aware of much of what you said
Once again, totally with dpjm on this. Reptiles do not have the enzymes to properly deal with dairy products, such nutrient sources are likely to just ferment in their guts and cause discomfort.

As for the protein angle, a little while ago there was concern by Allen Repashy on the effects of his newly developed Bug Burger on feeder cockroaches (http://www.store.repashy.com/can-feeder-insect-diets-contribute-to-gout-in-reptiles.html). Now, if you read through this, you may ask "so what has this got to do with my situation?", as his concern was about how high protein supplementation to cockroaches leads to an increase in stored uric acid in the roach, which can then lead complications that lend towards gout when fed to lizards. Thing of it is, in many organisms (including reptiles) it is often been thought that excessive protein levels in the diet can lead to health issues, particularly concerning the kidneys. Most organisms do quite well for protein in their regular diets, they really don't need the supplementation of added dense protein content. With captive reptiles, most people should be more concerned with supplementing vitamins, minerals, and UVB.

dpjm

5 Year Member
Thing of it is, in many organisms (including reptiles) it is often been thought that excessive protein levels in the diet can lead to health issues, particularly concerning the kidneys.

For sure. Unfortunately, even in human diets protein is often regarded as a nutrient that you can and should consume in large amounts, the more the better. I think this notion has been fed to people for a long time, for whatever reason. But protein is something you should consume in moderation or face complications like kidney problems, bone issues, and cancer.

Adrian Q

For sure. Unfortunately, even in human diets protein is often regarded as a nutrient that you can and should consume in large amounts, the more the better. I think this notion has been fed to people for a long time, for whatever reason. But protein is something you should consume in moderation or face complications like kidney problems, bone issues, and cancer.

Yes thank you for the reply

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu