• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

When will he wake up :(

JAWs001

I got my tegu towards the end of summer, and he was only up for a couple weeks before going into hibernation, i was wondering about how much longer until he wakes up :( i miss the little guy.
I live in so-cal by the way :)
Thanks for any help

G

He could be down for another month or it could be tomorrow...

My guess is somewhere in-between...

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In my guys first winter/hibernation he slept without interuption from late Oct until mid April...

When local temperatures stopped getting below 55*F at night I moved his enclosure outside. While the overnight temperatures encouraged him to dig down deep in the substrate to hide from the cold, the 70~75*F sunshining afternoons encouraged him to venture out for basking...

There is no hard and fast rules about how long, or even if, a Tegu will hinbernate. Some people maintain high temps but the Tegu stays asleep none the less... while some people cool their Tegu yet they stay awake all winter long...

My best suggestion is to provide UVB for at least a few hours per day and fresh water at all times. That way when he does peek his little head out of the mulch he will have what he needs to start waking up.

thomasjg23

Toby, do you think it is more beneficial to have the uvb bulb on for a few hours a day or the basking bulb? Mine is still down as well. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029