• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

When should I start to worry?

herpgirl2510

Hi/ This Thursday I will have had my tegu two weeks. So far he has eaten 1 pinky, 1 small mouse , 2 crickets and two roaches. He turns his nose up at everthing. I hve tried scrmbled eggs, hard boiled and raw eggs, tilapia, roaches , super worms, crickets, turkey, fruit. He looks like ha has a few folds of skin on his sides he is out alot sunning himself. The last few days he has become super skittish and jets when I try to handle him. Could him not eating be a problem he is just a baby so I am worried

My enclosure is 7.5x3.5x3.5, I check temps with two temp/humidity digital , and a temp gun, he has a 30'" or 24" 10.0 reptisun linear bulb 12" from his basking spot, Temp in mid 80's hot side 70's cool side, basking spot 95 degrees. Anything without bones I dust with calcium. He seem interested in the food when he gets close and sniffs it and he walks away. A few times a day when he is basking I will put my hands in and work in the cage so he feels comfortable. I do not disturb him when he is hiding I have held him a few times and hung out in the bathroom with him. I mist his cage 1x maybe 2x dailt humidity around 70% it never drops below 50% even overnight. He was hidnig alot but is out more but only mybe 2-3 hours a day I worry he is not basking enough. I have a zoo med power sun 100 watt coming in 2 days to see if that helps. I think that covers anything.

Moondust

The basking temp needs to be upped a little bit...ideal basking temp is 105-112. I'd give him a little more time, you've only had him two weeks he's still in his adjusting phase.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
it all sounds good except i would up the basking temp. between 105 -115*. if its easier you can get a regular 75watt which should help bring it up more, i think theyre like $8 or so.

as moondust said hes still adjusting. the increase in heat might bring him out more.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Are you hovering over the cage when he/she eats (well, maybe not literally, but are you sticking around after you place the food?)? If your tegu is still skittish (which, by your description, it is), it might need some privacy when it eats. Both of my Extremes were like that when I first got them (and now, they couldn't care less about who or what is watching them).

It just sounds like it could be a stress issue.

herpgirl2510

I leave the food in there for hours when no one is around. I lowered my temps from 107 he refused to bask there he would lay on the cool side. I am sure if I bumped it up it would be to hot for him. I got him at NERD they breed the but a 3 months old like my guy is they do not keep a basking area as high as 115. I am going to drive there tommorrow the guy who runs the retile dept is going to check him out. One of the perks of buying local.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me