• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

When should I start to worry?

Diablo

5 Year Member
Okay so I have seen far too many impaction threads to not have it in the back of my mind all the time. That being said I am unsure of when to catch this early on and how to treat it. I will be looking through old threads to see how to treat it but my real main question is do you know for a fact your tegu poops everyday or not? I ask this because I do not. I find his urates from time to time because they are yellow but the last time I found his poo was about four or five days ago. However each day I can tell he is somewhat thinner than the day before. Not a whole lot but noticeably enough. Is it common for tegus to maybe bury it? Or maybe it is just getting buried under the eco earth from him walking around. He is still eating everyday (superworms, crickets, dusted pinkies, whole ground meat with bones organs, fresh fruit every other day sometimes everyday). His diet is pretty varied and he actually eats fruit daily to my surprise. I haven't tried vegetables yet but I will soon.

So am I just paranoid over nothing or maybe I should be worried?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sometimes the little guys bury it or it just scrambled around in the substrate. If he has small, runny stools or begins vomiting, you can suspect impaction as one of the causes.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Laura didn't you and that vet, was it dr. Lou? Suggest plain metamucil and more fruit if there was a problem? I mean if there really isn't any poo buried that he isn't seeing. I know niles poops maybe twice a day or at least once. He loves to crap on my coffee table and my BED ...:/

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Actually Roadkill and I had that discussion years ago. But yes, increasing fiber by adding plant matter and 1/4 teaspoon unflavored Metamucil to ground meats.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Another sign to look for is a distended abdomen especially if he hasn't eaten or drinking much if anything at all in a while. If his abdomen gets smaller with the skin fold on the side then he's passing it and you're just not finding or seeing it for now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me