• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

When expect hibernation ?

Gedy

My gu is with me for 3 moths right now and has grown like a weed !
I messured him weekly and he has doubled his size since I got him, including the tail.
He has gone from a skittish little hatchling to a nice and calm pet already.
But I got him as an import, since that is prettymuch the only way to go in my country, and I was wondering : When do I need to expect him to go into hibernation ?
I know some tegu's never hibernate but I would like to give him the chance to do so if he likes.
Any good advice is welcome :)

kellen.watkins

Yours should hibernate at the same time as over in america as we are both in the northern hemisphere, you should expect hibernation anytime now, my female extreme I believe is starting today, I have not seen her she has not thrashed her tank lol I left food out and she didn't touch it (really weird) I know she came out for either water or a quick bask cause her little entrance blockade looks different than it did this morning, if your tegu wants to hibernate he will on his terms just follow his lead

Gedy

Thanks kellen ! :)
I wasn't expecting anyone to answer anymore, im glad you did. I will wait then if he will try to hibernate, although I haven't seen him acting any diffrent.
Goodluck with your sleeping beauty ;)

kellen.watkins

If you want you can also try to induce hibernation by cutting his/her light hours to, I'm glad mine is getting ready to hibernate the plan was to build her permanant enclosure after hibernation she is starting to outgrow it lol

Gedy

yeah, that was totally my plan too !:D I will probbly get a lot of the materials I need on christmas since I constendly telling my friends and family what I think is great for my custum made enclosure ;).
Do I need to turn the light from 10 hours a day to 8 hours for the next one or two weeks , and then to 7 and so on , or do I need to do something else ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980