• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

when do tegus start filling out?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My tegu is just a tad over 3ft, I believe hes male (I'm almost positive I saw a hemipenis). He doesn't seem to be filling out much yet. He's not skinny or underfed, he's just not a plump fellow yet.
[attachment=2173] August 22 2010 The day it came home with me
[attachment=2174] September 2010
[attachment=2175] March 18 2011

Same rock in all the pictures

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
During mines second summer (9~15 months old) he grew tremendously in length (18~40")...

During mines third summer (21~27 months old) he filled out approx doubling in weight (12 lbs at end)...

This is the spring before his forth summer (32 months old)... he has lost a fair bit of weight over the winter and as a result he has a bit of 'loose skin'. But his tail (base) and jowls are still quite full. I suspect his jowls are not quite fully developed but by the end of this summer (38 months) I trust he will be fully developed in every way...

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I saw the same pattern in my two tegus as Toby H. My five year old filled out in his third summer and my two year old is now getting lenghty.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Did the tegus hibernate their first year? Do you think it matters? Thanks for the answers. I'm not "worried" about it, just curiosity. I wouldn't mind if my tegu was still 11 inches :D

Draco D Tegu

I dunno, this is my guy's second summer, he is active and looking for food all the time. It looks to me like he's gotten a good bit of girth on him since he recovered from his impaction.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
rhetoricx said:
Did the tegus hibernate their first year?

In my case (requoted below) my Tegu did a full hibernation his first winter and brumated to various degrees his second and third winters... details added to requote...

rhetoricx said:
Do you think it matters?

Yes. It's commonly known Tegus who do not hibernate at all reach max size much faster. Although since I've never raised a Tegu without wintering him to some degree, I can't comment on actual rates or patterns.

Toby_H Should Have said:
Full hibernation his first winter (4~9 months old)...

During mines second summer (9~15 months old) he grew tremendously in length (18~40")...

Mild brumation before and after 6 weeks of hibernation his second winter (16~20 months old)...

During mines third summer (21~27 months old) he filled out approx doubling in weight (12 lbs at end)...

Light brumation with no hibernation his third winter (27~32 months)

This is the spring before his forth summer (32 months old)... he has lost a fair bit of weight over the winter and as a result he has a bit of 'loose skin'. But his tail (base) and jowls are still quite full. I suspect his jowls are not quite fully developed but by the end of this summer (38 months) I trust he will be fully developed in every way...

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It seems like he's blown up more over night, this picture was from a few nights ago.
[attachment=2222]

He's got a hanging light, I've got to fix the mounted fixture, the wire started fraying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me