• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

When do jowels start to show?

tora

I'm really still hoping I have a male, but I'm not too sure. He's a year old but went down for a bit so he's only still just 32" or something like that. Are the tail bumps supposed to be showing up soon?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ummm were are the pics Lol rayne dosnt have much in the way of jowl/buttons either, im not even sure if he's even a he anymore, i was told they start showing up around 18 mos-2y/o, or around 3', rayne is over 3'

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My male, who went through a long hibernation, was about 32~36" at his first birthday... I could feel very slight bumps at the base of the tail but not enough to be sure... Little to no true 'jowels' could be detected...

At the end of that summer, when he was about 16 months old, I could finally feel enough of a bump to be convinced he was male...

The following summer that included his second birthday is when his Jowels really started to develope...

I'm sure development can vary from specimen to specimen, but this is an example of the timeframe mine developed in...

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Now what about those pics? Lol im dying to see some of raynes siblings, bobbys gonna try and post some pics of the one he kept, seems like no one with a tegu from that clutch post anymore

tora

Yeah, lol. I'm trying to get him to eat right now but like I said he wont even acknowledge anything that's not a live rodent. ><
Which I find so weird, I mean I figure he'd want to eat all he can since he didn't get fed when he wouldn't wake up.
I'll take a pic, but he looks the same lol.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He's probably just being a stubborn tegu, let him starve a few days, eventually he will eat other foods, trust me he wont starve himself for too long

tora

I've tried! Just when he doesn't get fed what he wants he just goes to sleep. Then he sleeps for a few days and briefly gets up and keeps ignoring food unless it's alive. He used to be a little pig and eat everything!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow he is just being stubborn as he wanna be, how long has he held out for the mice

tora

About, his tail looks fine but I give in and feed him what he wants after it's been a while. I don't want him to get hurt just because he's stubborn.

herpgirl2510

He held out for two months that seems like a long time. Tonka is around 18-24 months I don't really know if he is imported or not. I did not get him until a few months ago. His buttons showed up 4-6 weks ago and his jowels atrted showing more and he started popping them. He just started leaving sperm plugs in the last two weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me