• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What's wrong with my tegu?

Fatboyxdww

I have an Argentine black and white tegu from Varnyard herps 2011 season. He is about 5 months old. He has slowed down quite drastically and has not eat in a few days. I am worried about him can someone give me some advise on what might be wrong?!? Thank you in advance

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No offense but did you do research before getting him? i ask because every care sheet will tell you aug.-mar. is hibernation/brumation season and describe their behaviour

Fatboyxdww

I have him in a temporary 40 gallon breeder tank with the hot side reaching as high as 105 and te cool side getting about 87. I am building his permanent cage over the winter. And @ Reptastic yes I did my research for almost two years on tegus. But I just wanted to make sure from people that have tegus and other reptiles. Anyone can say anythin on line. I just saw this site and see that people really care on here so I figured I would adk

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok just thought i'd ask, i have seen people who havnt seen their tegu for a while and panic thinking the tegu is dead or sick because they didnt know tegus hibernate or brumate this time of year, then they dig the tegu up and stress it out and wonder why the tegu wont bond with them, glad you asked first

Fatboyxdww

Yes I know they hibernate but sine every animal does it different I thought I would ask how other owners have seen. Thank you tho

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
More than likely it is hibernating. Cool side temps are a bit too high though.

Fatboyxdww

What should the cool side temps be? And after looking at many care sheets it still doesn't tell if they eat during hibernation. Can someone help with that aswell

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
75-80 on the cool side. If they are truly hibernating they will not eat at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980