• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

what's true?

I have looked around at lizards and this beauty looks perfect, but then comes the "this is too good to be true, what's the catch?" so i want to make sure that all the things I've found that sold me on the b&w tegu are true.

firstly, i want to know how much they cost you on average per year. tegus seem much less expensive in comparison to a big Asian water monitor on feeding alone, so I'd like to know how much they cost, and what the expenses are.

second, on the subject of food, many people say different things about food. For example Tegu Terra says they only need to be fed bugs for the first 1-3 years of their lives. I was wondering how important is it to feed live bugs to them? especially live crickets, would it be damaging to it's health to feed the tegu freeze dried?

third, is this the friendliest, tamest, and easiest to socialize of the tegu specie? are they the type that are safe around kids? like family dog level of safety, and by kids i mean the smart kind. I live around kids who have been raised to know how to respect and not provoke an animal, they also have common sense.

fourth, going out. say you get a hatchling, when you bring it home how do you get it settled in? and how soon can you start handling? and at what point do you take them for walks around the neighborhood?
rats can be trained to have their cage kept open so they can come and go as they please. I get the importance of a terra with the tub, the environment, and of course a place to use the bathroom, but can they be house trained like a dog, and the terra is like a bed?
I've heard they are the smartest lizard on the planet and are trainable, how easy are they to train? can they be successfully potty trained? do they have to mentally stimulated with learning tricks and puzzles, or do they just need human interaction and affection to keep their minds healthy?

fifth, is there a difference in behavior between females and males?

these are the questions i can think of, I'll keep posting as i find more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980