• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

what would u guys do

Anthony

5 Year Member
maxzilla hasnt eaten in 4 days now.... i been offereing her a huge variety of food in her bin and about a week ago she turned down everything cept a mouse.... then the next day she turned down turkey so i gave her another mouse and she immediately ate it.... next day she turned down beef liver chicken liver eggs so i gave her a hairless rat and she immediately annihilated it.... next day she turns down turkey... next day she turns down ground beef , strawberries and bananas ... next day she turns down turkey or ground beef... then today she turns down turkey again and ground beef again... i left her in the bin almost a hour and she didnt touch the food.... so i put her back on her rock and just for a experiment i put a chunk of ground beef next to her and within 3 seconds she ate the whole thing.... what do u guys think i shoul do? by the way my new red tegu behaves 100 percent normal compared to maxzilla... he eats in the bin immediately as soon as hes put in there he goes to town on anything i offer him.... he also lets me hold em now and hes very very active.... what u guys think about feeding in the enclosure if she refuses to eat anything in the bin besides rodents? i have eco earth in there now so impaction really isnt a issue they havent ingested any of that since i made the switch....my thoughts is to not give up on feeding her in the bin its just frustratiing cause i know shes hungry just dont get why she stopped eating in the bin.... the other option is to offer her rodents everyday she refuses turkey but is that bad to do for a week or 2? til she gets board of them at least.... sorry for long post any advice appreciated

throneofjade

5 Year Member
Keep trying to feed her in the bin and if you have to feed her in her house make sure that she doesn't eat the bedding. So put it on a paper plate or something. I believe it has something to do with the bin and not the food you are giving her. Just keep at it and I'm sure she will go back to eating in the bin. Good Luck.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Since she is acting healthy, other than not eating... and since she eagerly eats in the cage, just not the bin...

I believe she just doesn't like going into the bin to eat. But eventually her hunger will become stronger than her stubbornness and she will give in and eat in the bin... But if you feed her in the cage once in a while, you will be teaching her that if she just waits long enough... eventually she will get what she wants...

Consistency is key to training any animal (or inmate)... If you give in now, they know you will give in again...

Therefore I suggest you feed ONLY in the bin, at least until (if) you give up on using the bin...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980