• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What to use for black and white tegu and how to build it?

angel619

Hi guys this is my first post on this forum and I have a couple questions.First I recently ran across a youtube video of a black and white tegu and was amazed by how tame and intelligent.I have had reptile experience before with bearded dragons,ball pythons,chinesse water dragons and yeah.Anyways I wanted to know whats a good size cage for a tegu I wanted to build a 8x4x4 and need to know whats a good material to use to build this cage and what I will need I hear people saying you need sealents and stuff like that because of the humidity why is this needed and also what is pvc?oh and will I need to coat the material used to build the cage with something that will be able to resist humidity

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A 8x4x4 will be great for an adult tegu. Plywood is probably the best material and needs to be sealed to prevent rotting from the moist substrate and humidity. PVC is a plastic, it is used to make plastic caging that is designed more for snakes and smaller lizards.

A sealant that I would recommend isr Drylok (it is a masonry sealant that is painted on and can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot). Another option is to line the entire enclosure with FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) it can also be found at Lowe's and Home Depot and is typically used to line bathroom walls for waterproofing them. Either option will also require using an aquarium safe caulk in all the corners and seams.

Diablo

5 Year Member
I'm in the same boat. From what I've read I was gonna use wood to build my cage, and seal this inside with a sealent like drylok. Pvc is piping you see used underground for things such as plumbing or drains. Google it, it should look familiar.

tam

hi im new here. iv been looking for this information for a while. my baby tegu is about 3 months old but i want to start thinking about making an encloser for when he is an adult so i can get things ready. for the bottom off the encloser are kitchen floor tiles ok to use if all sealed properly ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980