• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What to buy the right tegu.

Mkulu

5 Year Member
I need help from someone who knows firsthand the various tegus......PLEASE!
I have been doing research for several weeks on which reptile I want to adopt as the next member of our family. I believe after reading about at least 50 plus options, I am leaning towards a Tegu. Of course that only gets me in the ballpark. Now which Tegu?
The things that matter most to me are:
1. Disposition. I want one that is easy to tame, intelligent, LEAST AGGRESSIVE, and calm. I am married and have a 6 yr old girl, and a 3 yr, and 3 month old boys. I dont want to worry about its interaction with my family being dangerous just like any other pet. I have had alot of contradicting info on which Tegu is #1 in this catagory. I am becoming very aware of the ignorance and sometimes grossly uninformed pet community, and also the bias of some breeders who want sell what the got. The disposition is the most important factor to me. So I need accurate info.
2. Size and Appearance. I like the look of the blue, red or albino's but I would prefer maybe not the largest tegu out there. So considering the disposition being the most important factor I guess I am wondering if the B&W Argentine has a superior disposition than I would go that way, but if there is no difference than can I get the look I like and the personality? I hope I don't sound like a jerk. I am just taking this committment very seriously both for my families sake and for the new reptile. I am not looking for for just some entertaining animal behind glass, I am looking foe years of enjoyable interaction with a great new family member. Thanks for any direction in advance.
Also, I own a pacman frog but this is my first big reptile.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would suggest an Argentine Black and white female. They do not get as large as the males, giants, or reds, and do get very tame.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We just sold out of our Blue Tegu babies. The grow to about 3.5feet and 4 lbs vs. 4ft and 8 lbs for a B&W.

Whatever you decide on, you should wait until July when the next hatching (B&W) comes and get a fresh one. There are lots of "farmed" Tegu's out there now that aren't taken care of properly. Reserve one of Bobby's (Varnyard) if you can wait that long. Or I hope to breed our Blue's again in the Fall but they won't be available until about October/November.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980