• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What should I look out for before I get a tegu?

Daniel.lizards

So I've got lizards etc. I am able to make an 8x4x4 tank, I'm making one now for my savannah monitor. I've just got a few questions first before I get one.

Can I keep a hatchling in a 29g tank or should I go out and get a larger starting tank?

Within the next month I will be able to keep it in a 75g tank (my savs tank till his new one is done.)

I've heard different opinions on humidity, what is it supposed to be? Same with heat.

How much burrowing space do they need? How deep? Are they like savs with burrowing?

Daniel.lizards

Also one last request, can someone post a few pics of an example of a Healthy good tegu? Some hatchling as well as adults? Of all the pictures I see, I always feel like they are either obese or under weight. Thank you.

RickyNo

20131125_124021_zpsc176c20f.jpg

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
29g is too small, I recommend a minimum of 4ft for hatch lings which is in that 50g range. That as well as the amount of substrate depends on the size of the tegu when you get it. Bigger tegus require deeper substrate to burrow, usually the amount (depth) equals twice their height. But you can also use a bin for substrate which can double as a burrow and humid hide instead of filling the whole bottom of the cage.

Humidity around 75-80 is good bumped up during sheds.
Heat varies by tegu so use a basking spot platform with levels so that they can pick what they like or need at that time. Average 110-120 some like it hotter which is where that platforms will come in handy especially if you have space limits and not much wiggle room to move the lights since they have distance requirements.

A healthy tegu upon physical exam (just like any animal) should be bright and alert, clear eyes no discharge from the eyes or nose, with a plump tail base and no pyramiding ^ on it's back or tail just a nice even surface from their head down their tail.

Just one example but this is Milla when I got her a few years back, more than likely a wild caught Colombian, so a little thinner than most but nothing to worry about. Still bright eyed and bushy tailed so to speak. With a tail base that's practically the same width as their body. No pyramiding on her back or tail.

And her now.

Daniel.lizards

Ok, I will spring for a 55 gallon at least before I get one but its looking like im gonna wait till my 75g tank is available. One think I have learned with my savannah monitor is to bank the dirt on one side of the tank making a hill up then putting in a coark flat that makes a climbing ledge(or to hold water dish) as well as a hide that can be burrowed into, should I do the same thing for a tegu? Also would it be better to have more substrate for burrowing than above space or have it equal? In my sav tank I had about 2/3 the tank filled with dirt but it was banked and on the low side I had a pinnacle of flat rocks up to the heat light.

Now what exactly is pyramiding? Ive heard of it in tourtoises but not lizards. I think I have an idea but im not sure. Is it when a lizard is skinny its hip bones, I believe, protrude slightly near the tail? Or is it something else?

And lastly would the use of a rain chamber be a good idea for a bw tegu or no? Ill post pics of my one tomorrow maybe if I can get my camera to work.

I really want the best for my future tegu. I want him to be comfy and cozy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980