• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

what should i do at the moment of feeding my tegu ?

cabral

5 Year Member
:?: what should i do at the moment of feeding my tegu ? , should i offer food inside his terrarium or just use a feeding bin ,
i recently got my tegu, so he is not tamed yet so he gets nervous when i first grab him,
yesterday i introduced some banana and mealwors in a plate into his terrarium and he ate
and today i took him of the terrarium to feed him in a feeding bin and he got nervous and didnt eat....
advice me plz on what should i do at least for the moment while im taming him :roll: :shock:

thanks!

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you are going to use a feeding bin... only feed in the feeding bin. He will eventually get used to it...

If he seems nervous you may want to hold him for a few minutes to help him get over the initial reaction to being picked up. This way he will feel a bit relieved when you place him in the feeding bin. It's best to already have the food in the feeding bin when you place the lizard in...

I've been feeding my 14 month old Tegu in her cage from day one. She gets a bit anxious when I'm feeding her but she has walked right onto her feeding plate and taken food while I was still holding the plate and hasn't bitten me. I'm convinced she will not bit me on purpose... and she does not take bites hap hazardously... but I accept she may one day make a mistake and get me...

IÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢m not suggesting anyone feed in the cage as opposed to a feeding binÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ but simply sharing my experienceÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

31drew31

5 Year Member
I feed all of my monitors and tegus in their enclosures. When you dont have food let them sniff out your hand till they realize its not food then go and pick them up or do your cleaning etc.

Thats what I do as it is much easier to feed in the enclosures as feeding bins are a big hassle.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Sorry to disagree Drew, but I don't find the feeding bin to be a big hassle. My tegu has learned that when I open his cage in the morning, he is going to his feeding bin and is all too eager to jump up on my arm and crawl to my shoulder.

The feeding bin has played a huge part in taming and bonding with my tegu. I believe the proof is in the pudding and these lizards are smart enough to put two and two together.

...Jefroka

VenomVipe

5 Year Member
My tegu when I try to do the feeding bin he thinks when I put him in there its naptime. I have this box that i lay down on the foor and put a towl on top. Then a white plate. I seems that he knows what that white plate means so I am using that because what feeding bin is is just something for him to associate food with and not your fingers. That is what the white does as well. The only time i use the feeding is when I have Roaches crickets etc.

Quick queastion: Do your baby tegus enyoy superworms? Mine has very little interest in them and does not eat them.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Mine has never shown interest in super worms, he gladly donates his to the bearded dragons, lol.

...Jefroka

cabral

5 Year Member
haha
mine loves them , the day before yesterday i him superworms and he loved them ... when he ended the superworms he got a piece of banana and went to sleep.... ahaha

i think that depends on each tegu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu