• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What makes a good monitor owner?

casey15

In your opinion what makes a good monitor owner? What makes a bad monitor owner? Not just talking of the persons knowledge of the lizards.

Dana C

A monitor owner that reads 100% of everything available about their species and pays close attention to husbandry, diet, enclosure environment. A good owner is also one who understands that their individual monitor may not fit the mold and will adjust the aforementioned things to suit.
Sadly, if you visit a couple of the monitor web sites you will get very different thoughts about what is good and what is not so good. Also, what works for one may not work for another based upon where you live geographically and how you live.

casey15

Dana C said:
A monitor owner that reads 100% of everything available about their species and pays close attention to husbandry, diet, enclosure environment. A good owner is also one who understands that their individual monitor may not fit the mold and will adjust the aforementioned things to suit.
Sadly, if you visit a couple of the monitor web sites you will get very different thoughts about what is good and what is not so good. Also, what works for one may not work for another based upon where you live geographically and how you live.

Well said

HeatherN

yes since advances in reptiles husbandry are relatively recent, theres much debate about the proper handling and care of certain rarely kept animals. I've read countless debates on handling procedures and cage arrangement, it gets pretty heated. but i agree with dana; in my opinion, a good monitor owner reads materials and studies til they have problem finding new ones (lol) and recognizes their lizard is an individual with intelligence and tendencies/preferences and deserves respect. they should never be a novelty or a status symbol. one has to stay adaptable, he may prove to dislike or be stressed by something, and you have to be ready to fix that kind of stuff. also you obviously have to be able to afford his stuff and then some.
of course, my opinion, i am by no means a expert herpetologist (yet, I'm working on it) and always have a knowledgable pet and experienced handler to consult in a pinch.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Provide a large cage, a LOT of substrate(2 feet for the larger species if possible), a lot of heat, and a ton of food. Whole body prey items are key, although they are not the ONLY food that can be supplied in my opinion they should be a staple. They can live in other conditions, but those are ideal.

yulyani

from my opinion monitor lizards are unique, they are different from lizards and other reptiles...I try my best to be a good owner for them.... I think the good owner should be able to :
1) understant the monitor lizards itself, some of them can be tamed down, but a few still can't........... and sometimes we just have to accept them what they are....
2) provide the optimum and nutritional food ( food variation is the best ) and definetely they need the whole prey food
3) provide big enough and clean cage, substrates, lighting, and basking area for them
4) provide the exercise like walking if it's needed for the big/tame one
5) give the supplement if it's needed
6) spend sometimes with the lizards not only give them to the keeper
7)closely monitor, detect, and know if something is not right on our pet so the treatment with/without a vet can be started very immediately (monitor lizards tends to hide their health condition....:)...
8) never abandon/give away/sell the lizards when they are getting older and not so attractive like the young one....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980