• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What is the best food to feed your tegu?

Tux

5 Year Member
A rounded diet as mentioned in the care sheet found both on this site's main page and the varnyard-herps website.

carcharios

5 Year Member
Personally, I've been feeding my tegus catfish fillets that they sell at the local Giant supermarket. They're already cut up (they're prepared this way for frying) and surprisingly, they don't smell fishy at all. My tegu seems to really love them. I sprinkle a little Reptivite on them too.

Carcharios

Jefroka

5 Year Member
carcharios said:
Personally, I've been feeding my tegus catfish fillets that they sell at the local Giant supermarket. They're already cut up (they're prepared this way for frying) and surprisingly, they don't smell fishy at all. My tegu seems to really love them. I sprinkle a little Reptivite on them too.

Carcharios

Hope you don't mind me saying and I sure don't hope you take offense, as this is just my opinion based on general knowledge accumulated over the years.

If the fillets you feed are a main staple, you may run into some deficiency problems as fish fillets are but one aspect of a fish, with fillets being much less fatty than say turkey or liver.

I would also assume in the wild tegus would rarely have the opportunity to eat fish.

Just my .02 and trying to help another herper. If I'm off base please someone correct my thinking.

...Jefroka

Anthony

5 Year Member
just read the tegu care sheet and try to keep variety but make sure he gets rodents a few times a week for the calcium , the calcium from rodents are better then the supplements by far...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu