• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What is going on with my savannah

herpgirl2510

Today Lilo my savannah has been pacing back and forth in her enclosure for a few days. She was getting so active I let her out to roam. She(maybe a he) promptly tried to mount both of my tegus not just laying on them but locking her hands around their necks and wrapping her back legs around their legs and angling herself by twisting her tails with theirs. and definitely trying to lock on. Nothing came out of her vent ut I have never red lizards so I don't know if their hemipenises come out right away. Both of my tegus had no reaction to this the whole time Lilo had a crazy look in her eyes. I have seen videos of lizards mating and this is what she was trying to do. She has been around my tegus before and has never done anything like this. She has been pacing her enclosure for hours and is very high strung. She is generally extremely mellow in her enclosure but she is breathing heavy and not herself at all. This is not the typical dominating behavior Tonka will have with my other tegu chevy. any ideas? When she gets out she goes to their enclosure and desperately tries to get in.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Male or female it's ripe and ready for picking :p. Have you ever had her sexed to make sure she's female? At times females display some of the same mating behaviors as male. Just like males will try and mate with other males. If it is a female and she's ready to mate you have a lot of testosterone walking around there,.. she can't help herself different species or not.

roastedspleen

Just a thought mas i know its not possible, but what if it did sucessfully breed with the tegus?

Lol i think i scared everyone. Forget what i said

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Has she been sexed? When Gary tried to mount Rango he never had his hemipenis out but he would wrap himself around Rango and hold him down like you described.

herpgirl2510

No she has never been sexed they previous owner was going by the snout size. I am thinking male now. It was pretty strange and kind of funny. She looked like a pacing lion in her cage and her eyes were just wild. She did not get upset when I seperated but boy she was holding on for dear life. :) Chevy got all perturbed when I seperated them and tried to go back for more. I have some weird reptiles I did not know they would try to mate with other species. She is quite large probably 40" so she is probably a he.
^^I have seen Tonka my B&W when he gets restless in his cage he will start to follow chevy around in it and mount and bite him but Lilo had them oth in a bear hug and the strange thing is no one seemed bothered by it. Tonka was walking with her like that right before I pulled her off. Poor Lilo she won't be getting any satisfaction in this house.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm by no means a monitor expert but I was under the impression that it was impossible to sex them without having them probed. Unless of course you catch a glimpse of a hemipenis lol.

Could still be a female though, animals can have really weird behaviors during breeding time or as they're reaching adult hood. It's funny the tegus weren't bothered by it. Maybe because they think shes a girl too? She just knows you've got some cute tegus :p

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lol ^^^ right,.. male or female either way,.. :p it's all bad. As a female there's too much testosterone and nothing she can do with it. As a male there's not enough progesterone so there's still nothing it can do but try.

herpgirl2510

I did not know if their hemipenises come out I have never seen any lizards mating.
I knew she needed to be probed to determine sex but many times the snout is very different on the males and females hers is very short. I know thats a total guess probably but it really did not matter to me her sex I am not breeding them. My tegus have always liked her. When I let her roam she is always on the move climbing up the furniture looking out the windows my tegus pretty much lay in the sun unless they are hungry. I was very surprised how the get along she will check them out when they are basking in the doorway. I have seen her crawl under tonka's arm and lay there with him and Chevy. Both could have cared less about her mounting them which is why I am thinking she may be female. If chevy tries to lay on Tonka he will immediately shakes him off. I can't blame her your right they are a couple of studs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu