• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What if I fed my Tegu, then it suddenly decided to hibernate

JabbatheRedTegu

5 Year Member
What do I do if this is the case? About a week ago, my tegu has been burrowed so I'm not sure if he's hibernating or not. How do I know if he's hibernating or just sleeping for long periods of time?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When did you last feed him? If it was resent before sleeping then you might have to wake him up, if it was like two or so days before hand just let the little guy be. Never force a tegu in winter to eat, they know what they are doing.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So long as he has a place he can come out and bask still I wouldn't worry about it. I think the gut rot thing happens when people lower temps too soon after feeding and the animal doesn't get a chance to digest.

JabbatheRedTegu

5 Year Member
Thanks for your response, guys, I appreciate it.

This morning, I woke up and he poked his head out of the mulch lol. So I guess he just didn't want to come out for a week. Odd, huh?

Sometimes I don't know whether I should bother him to wake him up to eat and get his nutrients.

***Also, how the hell does a Tegu know what season it is if you're keeping the temperature constant? How does he know when Winter is if it's not cold? I don't need to lower or raise any temperatures, I don't plan on breeding him.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
chelvis said:
. Never force a tegu in winter to eat, they know what they are doing.

Wouldn't you say, then, that a Tegu eating in winter is doing so because they know what they are doing?

I'm not trying to start anything here, but by your logic, this seems appropriate....

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
slideaboot said:
chelvis said:
. Never force a tegu in winter to eat, they know what they are doing.

Wouldn't you say, then, that a Tegu eating in winter is doing so because they know what they are doing?

I'm not trying to start anything here, but by your logic, this seems appropriate....

Keyword is force. If the tegu wants to eat let it eat, just be sure to leave a proper basking spot so it is able to digest the food.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029