• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

what do you think?

steve1

although she is not as fat as she once was i think my girl is a bit overweight, here are a a couple of very recent pics to show. id like your alls advice on how overweight she looks, its been 2 weeks since she ate anything, i have been declining her rats which is pretty much all i can get her to eat becasue you all said they are high in fat and i dont want her to be obese cuz she doesnt move around alot upstairs but wanders all over outside.

Attachments

• P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    667.5 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    700.9 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    626.9 KB · Views: 5

Jefroka

5 Year Member
I'd feed her, its been two weeks, she's likely hungry albeit a lil plump but looks healthy otherwise.

...Jefroka `

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you feed her anything else besides rats? You could try some ground turkey if she'll take it, make sure you supplement it if you try it. Ground turkey isn't too fatty. Or fish! She looks a little larger than some other females but I don't think shes looks obese yet.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
She doesn't look at all obese to me... Her tail looks just a slight bit thin as well...

While I do agree that she will be better off on a varied diet, I do not think you need to keep her on a weight loss plan of any kind.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'll go against the popular opinion. :) I think she looks to be a bit heavy. Her tail isn't necessarily skinny, but smaller in proportion to her body size. But rather than withhold food, I would switch to smaller rats and try to add other foods into her diet. Daily exercise is good, too.

steve1

well she greedily ate 4 small rats and looked like she wanted more but im just gonna hold off a bit before going back to medium sized. when i went upstairs to get her she smelled the rats and i never even touched them they were in a box, she became instantly alert and was checking out my hand. she seemed a bit happier after that. i dont know what else to try feeding her as she sticks her nose up to everything so far, ground turkey, chicken gizards and hearts, stew meat, fish, any and all veggies, any fruit you can think of. all she wants is rats.
i would say typical woman =) (joking really ladies) but damn finicky. only thing i haven't tried is hiding other foods under fur....

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Chop up one of those rats and mix it in with something a bit more lean, could help getting her interested in other foods.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I feed 2 small rats to my adults and one medium is a HUGE rodent meal for them. I feed rodents two times a week.

herpgirl2510

I wouldn't say she was overweight maybe pushing the maximum she shhould be but sometimes when tonka lays down he looks huge then he gets up and walks and looks his normal size. I will feed tonka 6 smaller mice ata feeding as opposed to a larger rat this was also recommended by a very reputeable reptile breeding facility around here better. I also feed chicken necks, chicken backs, frozen chicks . Tonka's digestive system was a mess from theturkey etc diet and he was going to the bathroom it was a watery consistency sincechanging him a week ago they are firm and normal. I feed evry other day but once a week I will go two days without food. I am not suggesting that this diet is what you should do but rats all the time will probably add much more weight to her.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu