• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What do you think?

FoxxCola

5 Year Member
I recently rescued an iguana, "his" name is cookie. I do have another iguana, her name is ace and she is about 3 years old. Ace is a nice light green color, but cookie is a VERY dark green color. I was wondering if this is a normal color, or should I be worried?

100_1086.jpg

and with some sun..
100_1310.jpg

and somtimes he even gets darker than that.

and this is Ace, (we later found out he was a she :p)
lhjvkgcjjfhjxfr.jpg

ZEKE

5 Year Member
i agree with homer. no clue if thats their normal color but i think both your iguanas look great!

mschuld

5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry about the color variations. It depends on the region and the genes of the animal. They both look great! That girl looks pretty comfortable with her surroundings. Oh, and kudos to you for rescuing instead of purchasing!

Beazer

5 Year Member
It's definitely normal. Looks rather healthy too. Just like mschuld was saying, with a lot of reptiles you will see a difference in color/size of a lot of species and this is due to their geographic location. You will hear it being referred to as "locality" within the hobby and sometimes as "race" in articles. Though, they are the same species still. Kind of like tiger rattlesnakes from mountain A are red and the tiger rattlesnake population 20 miles east in mountain B is bluish grey. If they are a subpopulation/isolated subpopulation and dont receive much gene flow sometimes they are made into a subspecies, or sometimes even just being able to identify them based on color from that region makes them a subspecies. Though sometimes within their populations you will get a variety of colors/patterns, even within the same clutches, and is oftend referred to as "variablitiy" and are not identifiable by their geographic location.
Green iguana populations are really variable and its just awesome you have one with those markings. Usually you get the regular green iguanas from farms, but that one is definitely different. I can't wat to see what your iggy turns out to look like.
If you ever get the chance you should google image green iguanas and see them in the wild and the different colors and patterns there are. Its pretty cool. Also, google "green tree python localities" because those are good examples to show you what mschuld was talking about. Great looking iguana!

-Jon DeLong

FoxxCola

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for all of the compliments! I do hear the word "locality" thrown out alot, and now I actually know what it means. It's just weird because his shade changes almost every day, wether he is in the sun or not. As long as there is nothing wrong with him, that's the main thing. Here are some more pics. I can't wait to see what he's going to look like when he's fully grown :)

Note: the Alice Cooper eye makeup :p
100_1027.jpg

100_1080.jpg

Herplings

5 Year Member
How is the little Iggy doing?

Ours changes colors all the time, depending on the light, sun, foods. I like the gold and brown strips on his side. Very pretty.
I also like your big ol' girl. She looks like she likes the couch!

Nice Iggys, keep up the good work!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu