• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What do y'all think?

herper9

5 Year Member
Has anyone ever heard of a red and black tegu? I'm assuming the current owner is calling it that because it seems to have some red on its back. What really is annoying is how much he wants for it and how poorly he has kept it. He says it's in a 4x2x1, and didn't answer me as to what he feeds it, what type of lights, etc. He wants 500 for it, the cage and accessories. Also you can tell he hasn't handled it much due to the fact that he sent me an email stating it will hiss at him and whip him with its tail. Here's a copy of the email, and a link.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=10529872&cat=&lpid=&search=tagu
"sorry i just bairly got on my email from a couple days without.. i have had the tagu for two two and a half years she was given to me by a friend that couldnt care for her anymore my friend got it from a guy she knew that moved..tagu shes a red black tagu the last meassurment i got on her she was roughly 3ft'2in its not quite easy meassuring reptiles but shes been a good lizard i hate to see her go but need money tomany bills pileing up.. she dose seem alittle visiouse i have never been bitten by her or from her life that i know she has never bitten but she hisses and tends to scare she snaped at me once when she was hungary and she can whip her tail with a good force at times but still shes a great tame moniter kids love her.. i have her in the same cage my friend had her in its 4ft x 2ft x 1 ft she dose need a bigger cage to continue growing my friend was suppose to buy my snake and i was going to put her in that cage its much bigger i can sell just the lizard or w the snake cage cause id hate to send her out in the same old home i also have an outside cage ill put her in on warm days she has been verry well taken care of fed and she loves a good mouse as s treat idk if your verry experienced in reptiles but a red black tagu is ment for the more exp so i dont want to be selling her to a kid or someone that cant give her a good home and know what there doing handeling her they are all still wild at heart they can bite though hasnt happened yet..."

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's very common in the pet trade for someone to make up a fancy new name for a regular old animal as a way of charging more to the novice hobbyists... It's possible the current seller made up this fancy new name himself yet it is just as possible he was mislead by someone else...

It is quite obivously being improperly housed and is most likely equally neglected. Taking responsibility for this animal will be "saving it" from the poor conditions but will be accepting quite a challenge. While I deplore improperly keeping animals, I want my Tegu to be a "loving pet", not a "philanthropy project".

It is possible you can take control of the animal, give it a proper enclosure, proper diet, proper lighting, etc, etc... leading to friendly interaction and handling... and develop it into a lovely pet. Yet there is also a chance you will be stuck with a vicious angry large reptile that will always be a threat to you, your family and any friends who get to close.

Personally... I would not pay a single penny for this animal and if I did take responsibility for it I would do so as a favor to the owner. I do not feel people who poorly care for animals should be rewarded with a high price tag for the animal to move into better care. Honestly, the guy should be paying you if you take it off his hands....

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry about the tail whipp to much. We have four very tame adult Tegus and two of them still tail whipp sometimes when I pick them up or want to put them on the ground. My babies do that sometimes when they feel a bit scared. I do think that they want way to much for that Tegu. It's a 1/2 Argentine b/w and 1/2 Argentine red Tegu. Here is a black/red Tegu from a breeder. If you live close to where they are I would ask if you could come by and look at the Tegu. Make sure it has all it's toes, tail, the eyes look clear, the vent looks good .....

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSJOIrP7NDA&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSJOIrP7 ... re=related</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZKnBushCzg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZKnBushCzg</a><!-- m -->

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu