• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What do u feed your juveniles?

E_M

What do you feed your juvenile tegus? What insects and what other kind of foods? I'm sure this question has been asked several times before, but I wanna get some first hand info on what works well for your tegus.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here is a good list that people have fed in the past:

http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=6452

E_M

Already got that one printed out ;) But that food list is mainly for adults, I wanted to know what people feed their hatchlings/juveniles. :)

KritterKeeper

I think maybe youre over thinking this..I think people feed pretty much the same things when theyre smaller..perhaps a few more bugs or meat but i dont think the diet is that much dif. from young ones to adults..

E_M

Perhaps I am. :) From what I've read in various care sheets they're carnivores as hatchlings and eat mainly insects and meat throughout their first year? http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7712

KritterKeeper

Yeah ive read all the care sheets. I would say offer the meat and insects along with some fruits and veggies and theyll eat what they want and you can go from there as far as figuring out what theyll eat and what they like. In my opinion its probly better to get them used to eating some of the veggies and stuff early on although they may not eat much of it..

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can feed a hatchling the same foods as older tegus. I reccomend feeding a variety of foods early when they‘re young so you‘ll have less feeding issues later. What to eat is not all instinct, they have to learn what‘s good, bad as well as build up a tolerance (bacterial content) for digesting certain things. Some readily take fruit at a young age and some don‘t just like certain insects. But that doesn‘t mean you should stop offering it, you can sneak it into their diet or switch to something else and come back to that later. In time maybe even with some tough love, not offering food for a while and teaching them to be more opportunistic they‘ll come around. Then you‘ll both be better off for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu