• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What did I do wrong?

Two Bananas Marinade

5 Year Member
Ok I bought a tegu from Bobby RoyxSky. I "let" him go into hibernation. He started around the first of September.

After trying to get him out of hibernation ,without success, I took him to the vet. Blender was very dehydrated. So I started soaking him 2-3 times a day per the vet. Two weeks later not much change then realized he needed to shed. Ok thats done and Blender looks better but still not moving much.

How did he get so dehydrated that he has had to suffer so much? I understand that dehydration is normal but this seems a bit extreme to me. It was so bad that his eyes had even crusted over.

thanks for any help

AWD247

5 Year Member
I would guess temps where too high also,. not enough humidity. When my tegu went into hibernation we had to regulate the lighting for alot less daylight and kept the temps a bit lower but not cold, I had a fogger going on a timer to keep the humidity up while still spraying the mulch every few days.
Always keeping the water supply you use filled also helps with the humidity in the enclosure, plus incase it ever comes out and you dont notice, theres water available.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
AWD247 said:
I would guess temps where too high also,. not enough humidity. When my tegu went into hibernation we had to regulate the lighting for alot less daylight and kept the temps a bit lower but not cold, I had a fogger going on a timer to keep the humidity up while still spraying the mulch every few days.
Always keeping the water supply you use filled also helps with the humidity in the enclosure, plus incase it ever comes out and you dont notice, theres water available.

I would say that is a very valid answer, both factors are important to hibernating tegus.

wyattroa

5 Year Member
Yeah I am guessing temps were too high, the temp in my tegus cage during hibernation was around 55-60. She is still hibernating and the temp has increased to 65.
robert

Two Bananas Marinade

5 Year Member
Wow thanks for all the responses. There was no heat on him during hibernation. He was in a tote with three inches of damp mulch. He always had water available to him while in the tote. He never seemed to drink. I checked on him every other day or so. He was always in the position I had last seen him.

Also today he pooped for the first time today!! I removed almost all the skin from him minus the stuff on tail and feet. I am still soaking him.

He still has poor coordination but does try to move a little but not much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu