• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

what could i get?

roastedspleen

Im going o get a black nose tegu soon and i know someday it will outgrow its 65 gallon tank and that is when i want to get another reptile.
anyone know what i could house in a 65 gallon tank?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
maybe crested geckos or leos? im not very familiar with geckos

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Do you already have the 65 gallon tank? if no, I would suggest a different cage for your gu (if its a juvenile) with doors that open from the front so you are going in from the front not the top to retrieve him.

The little ones are quite leery of big things coming in on them from above.

Anyway, a 65 gallon tank could house lots of different reptiles from snakes to lizards. For a beginner, corn snakes, some king and rat snakes. Would make a nice home for a bearded dragon.

what really excites you?

Let's talk about it so we can narrow down your preferences.

...Jefroka

roastedspleen

i don't have my gu yet it says at the top its for my gu but when he outgrows it i could house something else in it and i want something less known to the pet trade, uromastyx sounds great but they usually sell them for a lot and snakes tend not to like me especially corns, milks, and kings. i wish i could get a gecko but most of them are very small and are not even worth the try. the only gecko i would try with is a grand terre and that's an expensive lizard plus it goes beyond the caging i have available.

Kebechet

If money is a problem, you may want to consider some things.
1. Adoption: Craigslist is a great place to find a reptile for under retail cost. Alternately, forums such as this one sometimes have reptiles for adoption.
2. If you're concerned about spending over $150, would you be able to cover cost for a reptile veterinarian for a single reptile? A parasite check can cost as little as $50, blood tests to check calcium levels etc over $200. A standard check up can cost $50 or more as well. If you have two reptiles, this cost is compounded. It's important to get ANY new animal checked for parasites etc. If you get a reptile shipped to you, they can get sick in-transit. Even reputable sellers can miss something being wrong with their stock, no one is infallible. You need to consider if you can even afford one reptile if spending over $150 on purchasing one makes you shy away from buying one.

I apologize if that last bit seems harsh, but I was overwhelmed at first by how much veterinary expenses are for a Tegu. I thought I had purchased a perfectly healthy animal, and then realized something was wrong with him within a day of buying him. I spent over $300 in a week trying to figure out what was wrong with him. :/ This can happen to anyone.

roastedspleen

mmm i can afford the parasite thingy but that's about it and my tegu is coming from bobby so i cant worry about parasites cuz if he had tegus born with parasites he wouldn't sell very many

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think uros are pretty cool, I've never owned one but I really looked into it before getting my beardie. The only reason I chose the beardie was because I couldn't find any local uros and I've never had any animals shipped to me before. They don't get too large and come in all sorts of colors.

I agree with the vet thing, it is good to get them checked out. I didn't take my beardie to the vet until he was about a year and a half, the only reason I took him was because I wasn't sure why he was sleeping all winter.. Some beardies burmate, go figure. Anyway, the costs really can add up quite quickly, especially with reptiles. If possible, its not a bad idea to put even like $10 away here and there, it will add up and that way IF something comes up you've got a little bit saved to get it the proper treatment.
More often than not the reptile will be fine but you never know. Obviously its all up to you.

I got my 2 newer tegus checked out the week after I got them, mainly because I wanted to make sure they were healthy since they were a bit small for their age. It's also not a bad idea to get them a check up before brumation, not everyone does it, I'm going to try my best to get them checked before winter. It'll help put my mind at ease when they disappear for months lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029