• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What calcium supplement do you use?

kim86

Like the subject title asks, which kind do you use? Brand and type (with or without d3). I just wanna know what the majority uses so I can use the same. I feed whole prey once a week to my baby but also supplement with RepCal calcium without d3 when I feed ground meat. Do you guys also use any sort of multivitamins?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I used Zoo Med Repti Calcium without the D3 until I moved my iguana outside. I'll sprinkle abit over his food every now and then but he does fine without it.

megasaurus

I have:
Flukers Calcium + vitD3
Rep-Cal Calcium with no d3
Reptivite (forgot which brand since I have it in a salt shaker)
and Miner-All (go here if you don't know what minerall is: www.stickytonguefarms.com)

although I have all of these supplements I basically just use Minerall on everything, and every now and then I add a pinch of straight RepCal calcium without D3

Dana C

I don't use a commercial calcium supplement. I save egg shell and grind them in a coffee grinder. the primary component of egg shell is calcium carbonate which is the most digestible form. I don't provide extra D3 because if given enough UVB you don't need it. I do however use a bit of reptile specific vitamin supplement. I found that they don't like the taste of it sprinkled on their food so I disolve some in water and inject a FT mouse with it using a syringe and needle. I feed prey including FT mice, whole small fish, shrimp etc. along with cut up chicken, beef liver, heart (when available), gizzards and an occasional pancreas as at special treat.
I also buy chicken wings when I can find them on sale. I section them into thirds at the joint and my lizards love them.
Of course all of mine are 1+ years old and can handle them. I started feeding them when they hit 9 months.

Also don't be afraid of offering left over chicken wings from your human feast as an occasional treat.

Skeetzy

Dana, I was under the impression cooked meat isn't good for them. Is it only okay to feed the left over wings because it's a rare occasion?

Dana C

Raw is better but cooked meat won't hurt them. I only give them some when I have a little left. Left over wings are like candy. My Black Throat really likes my lemon pepper wings. There is only a very small amount of seasoning left along with a little meat and cartilage. Mind you this only happens once a month or so. I don't eat a lot of meat so I don't have nightly left overs. When I do it is chicken or fish usually.

Skeetzy

That's awesome to know. I too rarely eat meat, that isn't fast food. I'll be sure to remember to share when I do though!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dana - how do you feel about the fact that the bones can splinter when cooked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu