• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What am I?

Phantom_Angel

5 Year Member
dscn0006ys8.th.jpg

dscn0009xc9.th.jpg

dscn0012za9.th.jpg

Can anyone identify this tegu as either Columbian or Argentine? Sorry the head shot is not clearer.

Phantom_Angel

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for chiming in. I have had Tonka for about 3 months now I guess. He is my first tegu. The week before I purchased him, I asked an employee at the pet store if he was an Argentine or Columbian (because I specifically wanted an Argentine). He assured me that this was definately an Argentine. But every time I compared him with photos of Argentines I just felt like something was off. So I finally found a good photo comparison and realized what I really had. I took him back to the pet store, and they told me when they originally had him that they really didn't know what he was because he was a trade in but they still assured me he was an Argentine because he wasn't "gold" and that was the only way to tell the difference. Even the guy that claimed to have had several tegus of both types said so. I basically told them they were idiots and there were obviously better ways to tell the difference. But they fall back on the fact that they really didn't know and they aren't responsible for what one person told me. And poor little Tonka refused to eat and hid under the edge of the shower curtain on the cold floor (which he detests) once I got him home because the idiot at the store manhandled him instead of giving me time to calmly get him out of the box I had him in. He gets points for not offering to bite me for putting him through all that. I don't know how this is going to work out, but I guess Tonka and I are going to move to the Columbian forum and give it a go. And if it doesn't work out, I'll find him a good home and maybe next time I'll be smart enough to get my tegu from Vanyard Herps ;)

jor71

5 Year Member
Phantom, all you need to do is handle him/her for a short time each day and I am sure he/she will be fine. I have heard stories from Columbian owners that they can be handled and somewhat docile (i do not believe any animal can be 100% docile/tame) with the right training. I have never owned one, but just telling you from what I've read and heard.

Good luck and best wishes!

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
WOW,, crazy story, how much did you pay for him, col-tegus are a heck of a lot cheaper, thats the first sign i would have looked for, if you over paid i would have asked for my money back or compensation of some kind, i give you props for keeping and carin g for him!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029