• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What am I doing wrong?

beardeddragon111

My tegu has started not eating once again. By this point, it makes me think I have something wrong with my care that needs to be fixed. Either that or these parasites are relentless and just come back again and again and again. They've already come back twice, a third time wouldn't surprise me.
Anyway, I'm going to go over my basic description and care and would appreciate if I was told what could be changed.
Tegu - 3 feet long, 1800 grams, male.

Enclosure - 6x3x3, peat moss/sand substrate (with a top layer of leaves) which is about 6 inches deep, 108-111 basking temps, 40-60% humidity througout the day.

Feeding - Hopper mice, talapia, ground turkey, carnivore care, salmon, blueberries, rasberries, papaya, kiwi, superworms, and egg yolk are the staples.
I sometimes find different foods at the asian market to give to him.
Note: These foods mostly have to be force fed, he will not eat otherwise.

Interaction - I try to let him out to walk around my room atleast daily. He will often huff and puff at me when getting him out and when he goes outside he generally throws a tantrum.

He is often trying to escape his enclosure, so I think he may be stressed of it being too small? I suspect he is a wild caught so it would not surprise me too much. I was cinsidering letting him free roam my room, would that be a good option?

beardeddragon111

In the old cage he had a tub turned upside down which worked as a hide. In the new cage I no longer have it. I figured he could just burrow under the dirt? The room temps are around 80.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In the old cage he had a tub turned upside down which worked as a hide. In the new cage I no longer have it. I figured he could just burrow under the dirt? The room temps are around 80.
He'll need a hot end, with basking temp 110-115F. Must grade to a cooler end with a hide whose interior is mid-upper 70s F.
They need heat but not all the time.

beardeddragon111

Ok, I have a window unit air conditioner that I could set up too cool my room down. I could also get some stronger bulbs for the hot end. Do you have any recomendations? I tried some of the philips outdoor flood lights, and it got my basking temps to 120, but the beam was so direct it didnt look like it would do much good.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok, I have a window unit air conditioner that I could set up too cool my room down. I could also get some stronger bulbs for the hot end. Do you have any recomendations? I tried some of the philips outdoor flood lights, and it got my basking temps to 120, but the beam was so direct it didnt look like it would do much good.
I can't help with bulbs because mine are outside for the active season. Many good posts with VERY useful information about best chocies for UVB and for heat.

beardeddragon111

Ok, Ive ordered myself the correct floodlights this time, have my AC set up, and have a large piece of cork bark coming in to use as a hide.

beardeddragon111

You have been an amazing help to me and I couldnt thank you enough. My tegu is now active and drnking, but still not eating. Im lost at this point. 6x3x3 enclosure, a basking spot ranging from 110-120-130, a 75 cool end, and plenty of dirt to dig in. Results came back he doesnt have parasites. It completely baffles me. There has to be something, but I have no idea what it could possibly be. I will take him to the vet, but the again the only thing she was able to find a few months ago was the parasite infestation. If he starts hibernating before hes started eating, Im afraid he'll die.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You have been an amazing help to me and I couldnt thank you enough. My tegu is now active and drnking, but still not eating. Im lost at this point. 6x3x3 enclosure, a basking spot ranging from 110-120-130, a 75 cool end, and plenty of dirt to dig in. Results came back he doesnt have parasites. It completely baffles me. There has to be something, but I have no idea what it could possibly be. I will take him to the vet, but the again the only thing she was able to find a few months ago was the parasite infestation. If he starts hibernating before hes started eating, Im afraid he'll die.
The vet will know if he has sufficient stores pf fat. Are the tail and thighs fat? A dimple running down his back? Are his hips well-padded? These are good things.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu