• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Well, the season has started early

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
We had our first clutch of iguana eggs here this morning, a young female that laid 27 eggs. I have another younger female that I believe is reabsorbing her eggs and an 8 year old female that looks like she is ready to lay any time now.

Last year was a record with 8 Green Iguana females laying eggs between May and August. It is a terribly stressful time for me hoping that they all lay with no complications. On the other hand it gives me a good source of alternative food for the Tegus and Monitors to vary up the diet some. They really like those iguana eggs!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Too cool Jane, I wish these tegus would start breeding, but they claim the lows are going to drop again. :roll:

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What are the signs of reaborption, other than the obvious? Causes? Does it affect the animals in any way?

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Puffdragon: I think you can usually tell if they haven't been dropped after a certain period of time. It's usually caused when a female cannot find a nesting spot they are satisfied with, health complications brought on by poor husbandry, or in Jif's case, a young female that is inexperienced with nest building decided to reabsorb them. It's not uncommon for young females to do this. It's not very healthy for a lizard to reabsorb eggs, so one hopes it doesn't ever happen.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Well, I was wrong this time. The female that I thought was reabsorbing laid her eggs today while I was at work. She is out of the box and looks pretty darned thin. I will remove the eggs from the box and count them in the morning.

*Update* final egg count for the second female- 33 eggs.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm glad to hear that she didn't reabsorb the eggs.
You are gonna have your hands full when they hatch! I can't imagine having almost 30 lil' iggys running around... :p

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Oh, I would never hatch any iguana eggs. There are already way too many unwanted iguanas out there, including a couple of dozen at my house. I feed the eggs to the tegus and monitors!

gebris353

5 Year Member
:yik Aw, sorry to hear that but I guess it was the best choice for what you are telling us about the other ones. :cry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus