• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

weird routine, caiman lizard...

bwiegmann

Ok so I have been watching Kyle for a week and a half now. He has a super strict routine, which is unlike any hero I've ever had, and is quite funny... So his lights go on at 8:30am, he lays on his rock under his basking spot till about 11, then goes and takes a swim and poops. He then goes and basks on his log, eventually working his way down to the rock at the bottom, I'm assuming this is because he's warming up. He lays there relaxing until about 8, then goes in his pool for about an hour, comes out, eats his meal of the day around 9, and then hawks till the lights shut off at 9:30. (Can you tell I've been on Bedrest lol) I just find it weird he eats so late, is that normal? I have a night heat bulb on him and the waters warm so I'm not worried about him not digesting. But I just find it odd. Lol he's a weirdo. O and Dr, he's had quite the attitude the past few days, but today it looks like he's getting ready to sheddin, so I think that's y he's so crabby :) does anyone else's caimans eat this late?? Should I be concerned? And as always new pics ;)
[attachment=5015]
[attachment=5016]
[attachment=5017]

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol 9 does seem a little late, but then again Bacardi ate 24/7 if I let him. As long as he is eating and pooping I would say its fine. I am jealous that your's eats in front of you, Darwin will only eat when I am not in the room. I put snails out and he looks at the bowl I wait to see him eat, walk away for a bit and come back and the snails are gone, he has a fill belly and a happy grin on his face.

I have a quick question, how long is your caiman lizard? I was looking at the picture of Kyle compared to your arm and was just wonder size.

bwiegmann

He's 18" mostly tail, was really hard measuring him lol, but yea he's eating popping and sleeping, o and the daily swim or two lol ;) here's some pics I just snapped, does he look healthy to you??
[attachment=5018]
[attachment=5019]
[attachment=5020]

Yea he does not care who's around him when he's eating, I just wish he'd eat more :/

larissalurid

My Merauke Blue Tongue Skink eats his meals around 9-11 at night as well. He goes and sits by his bowl when he's ready for food lol :] Although I don't turn his heat lamp off ever since its infrared and not a basking bulb or anything.

bwiegmann

Well, he likes making me a liar lol... He is eating as we speak....Hahaha I'm guessing that he's just eating when he's hungry, and or getting use to his surroundings? I dunno, chelvis I am still interested in why you asked how long he was and what insight you have for me! :) thanks guys!!

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol I was just interested to see what the average length was at close to a year of age. I have not put a ruler to Darwin yet but would say his between 18 and 20 inches as well. I have seen some shorter and smaller ones and those have the head structure of female caiman lizards I have seen.

Anyway looks like you are doing great with Kyle, keep up the good work!

bwiegmann

I love him :D I can't get enough of him!! Proud to say we will be adding a yearling all American to the family around the 21st!! Can't wait :)

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So I lied I got a yard stick on Darwin yesterday and he was 26" long. Off by ten inches, man I am getting rusty.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980