• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Week Front Limbs Or Just a Lazy Tegu?

dadasgirl

5 Year Member
Hi Guys

I have a juve tegu - eating well, jowls are starting to develop, fat tail and getting girthy. I'm a little concerned about his front limbs - they are almost always tucked by his side or underneath him when he basks. Is this normal?

I have a tile floor so when I bring him out for play time he struggles with keeping his footing - but even when I put him on carpet he doesnt seem to want to use his front limbs. When we first got him, he was pratically sprinting across the floor every chance he got - now he's so lethargic.

His Power Sun lamp is about 4 months old - do you think its time to swap it out for a new UVB source? He doesnt have the shakes that people talk about when lizards get MBD - but obviously I dont want things to get to that stage.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
alot of lizards tuck their arms behind them when they are basking i guess its just thier way of getting comfortable, as for the issue with the tile it may just be too slippery for him to walk on but on the carpet does he just not walk or is he walking funny, is able to raise up on his front legs what about his back legs what is his diet, how long is his uvb lamp on, and also do you use any calcium supplements? if im not mistaking i believe when their toe start twitching is the first sign of mbd but these are just suggestions you should take him to a qualified vet to get checked out

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
That kind of power sun ( UVB ) light do you have ? I recommend a 10.0 . Put him on your bed and see if he still walks the same way. Like mentioned above the floor is very slippery. On the carpet he could have some problems with getting his nails stuck in there. It's normal for the to stretch out when they are basking. How often do you feed him some rodents or give him the calcium powder ? do you think you would be able to post a video of him walking ? thank you.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
we need a video to be sure. i change my uv lights about every 6-9 months. how old is he? what kind of uv light? (make sure your light is NOT just a fancy basking light. some lights are basking only and do not put out u.v rays.)

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
oh and another thing the uvb lamp has to be no more than 12 " from his basking spot and make sure that no screen or glass is blocking the uvb rays from getting through a pic of his setup would also help

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlifKat