• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Waterproofing, non-toxic sealer??

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
*This isn't exclusively about tegu housing but a tegu is included. lol*

My boyfriend and I are in the process of making enclosures for the following:
  • Argentine Tegu
  • Pacman Frog
  • Emperor Scorpions
  • Leopard Gecko (although I'm not too worried about sealants for her)

And we're not sure what to use to waterproof the insides. I've heard of using Drylok but I'm unsure of its safety for something like a Pacman frog.

HALP

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Look into FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) and aquarium silicone.

Skeetzy

I'm 99% positive drylok is pond safe, so it should be fine for all of them. But I don't have experience with it and all of those animals so I'd do a little more research.

LizardzRock

Yea Drylok is safe as long as it has adamant curing time. Its a masonry sealant that works on wood pretty well.

Skeetzy said:
I'm 99% positive drylok is pond safe, so it should be fine for all of them. But I don't have experience with it and all of those animals so I'd do a little more research.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Drylok has silica in it. I did not use it for that reason. Tegus scratch at the sides and bottom and I didnt want silica particles getting in his nose or eyes. I used Glidden porch and floor latex paint and it worked great.

chriswizz

5 Year Member
I used g4 its a plasticote product, design for sealing concrete ponds, animal safe once cured, it's as hard as nails, 100% water tight & proof. Brilliant stuff.[attachment=5695]

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

[attachment=5697]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352142952587.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352142952587.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 154
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352143073955.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352143073955.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 95

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
chriswizz said:
I used g4 its a plasticote product, design for sealing concrete ponds, animal safe once cured, it's as hard as nails, 100% water tight & proof. Brilliant stuff.

I wish I had known about that stuff when I built my cage! That stuff looks Like a great idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu