• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Water Monitor Care (V. Salvator)

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
Yes bacteria is my main concern so I can see how filters and sedimentary systems will be ineffective.
I think James is right in that only a full draining and disinfectable reservoir will do properly.
I think I will run plumbing to a (smallish) outdoor pond when Im ready to start the enclosure.
Still not sure whether to do inside or out.
This will be a fun one...

Dana C

Thelegendofcharlie said:
Dana C said:
My BT always goes in one corner of his enclosure or in the bath tub.

You trained him or he did this on his own?

He did it on his own. Aside from eating carrion, I think that some of the species are fairly clean animals.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Come to think of it my Savannah always went in the same corner as well.

Dana C

Also consider buying an electric submersible pump. You can empty a "water feature pretty quick with one and the size of the hose is such that poop and urates won't clog it.
I should have mentioned this sooner, my bad.
Northern tool has a few which run from $40 to $80 to $350 plus. From looking at them, the $80 model looks like it might be the ticket.

kinggill

At the zoo we use a canister filter like the one pictured in the link below to collect solids ,basically a salt water fish canister and a good pump is needed also.The nice thing about these is we had older models that did not use a cartridge filter but stuffed the canister with pillow stuffing,which saved alot of money.Turn off the pump,drain the filter ,unscrew lid,replace the dirty canister filling.We bought this in pallets,but you can also just buy a bag at a time if needed from walmart..ya i know..Walmart:-/.Ive been deployed for a while now and my mind is kind of blank on the exact Brand name canister and the material used that my friend has there now.I do remember them having different stuffing and one was synthetic or polyester and did not collect solid waste as good as the other,if its slimy when its wet you dont want it,thats all i can remember right now.We used these for the alligator feeding tank ,Large snakes,turtle tanks and any large tank with water..we still did a complete drain and refill if the mess was too large since these animals were on display, but they do a great job.....a Salvator though...i dont know...its pretty much Screaming Diarrhea any time ive seen one defecate....I would recommend a a large cattle water trough with a drain in the bottom made from rubber or plastic,stay away from galvanized steel,I had a 6ft alligator I adopted from someone that kept him in a Galvanized steel cow trough and he had some nasty sores on his belly and feet.

http://saltwatereddies.storeblogs.com/2011/11/05/old-school-style-filtration-canister-excells-at-task

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced