• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Water Dragon Shed Issue

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
My water dragon Gandy has a piece of shed on the end of her snout that won't come off and seems to have clogged up her left nostril. Everywhere else on her body is shed-free. She keeps rubbing her face against the tank trying to get it off, and I've given her numerous baths to no effect. I am worried it is effecting her breathing. The right nostril is clear. The only thing I can think of to do is gently poke out the shed with a sterile needle, which I don't really want to do since it's a bit risky. Does anyone have any advice on how to get this stubborn bit of shed off.

adam1120

maybe you can put some olive oil on i did it when my beardie had a stuck shed on his back it keeped it moist and it came off a few days later

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Is there an instrument that is less pointy than a needle that I could use? Since none of the surrounding shed is peeling, my plan was to to lightly jab the shed clogging the nostril until I cleared an airway. I've even tried using tape. When I bathe her, I add Zilla's Shed-Ease to the water and that usually does the trick; however, in order to soak this particular patch I'd have to hold her head under and I flat out refuse to pseudodrown Gandy.
adam1120 said:
maybe you can put some olive oil on i did it when my beardie had a stuck shed on his back it keeped it moist and it came off a few days later

Thanks, I will have to try that. I don't know if I have any olive oil, but will vegetable or canola oil work as well?

turtlepunk

when my beardie has a stuck shed around his eyes or nostrils i use tweezers but VERY VERY carefully. Its usually not an issue because he's extremely calm but I'm not sure if a water dragon will sit still for ya

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
turtlepunk said:
when my beardie has a stuck shed around his eyes or nostrils i use tweezers but VERY VERY carefully. Its usually not an issue because he's extremely calm but I'm not sure if a water dragon will sit still for ya

Yeah, Gandy is kind of high-strung and I have no doubt that I'll get the bloody hell tail-whipped out of me in the process of helping her out. She can jump slightly more than her body length in one leap and she's two feet long.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
The tweezers method worked perfectly. She didn't like it and I got pooped on, but the nostril is clear. Thank you for your help! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu