• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Video of the last female giant soft shell turtle.

nat

5 Year Member
snakehandler said:
But you could say that China as a whole doesn't do much to protect its wildlife or to stop wildlife trade in it's country.
Which is a shame.

yes definately, and it is an issue that they definately need to address and an issue that the rest of the world needs to be working with them (or pressuring them) to address.. I just think its hypocritical to say something like "China is stupid" when we would essentially be the pot calling the kettle black in the sense that were are a lot of things we are doing as a community that are arguably just as bad.

gotherps?

5 Year Member
how many of you guys own chinese water dragons? they are quickley becoming endangered in becuase the united states imports them by the tens of thousands from villagers who catch them in the wild. it really makes me sick when i see the half dead things at petco. we are just as much to blame as china. its so much cheaper to buy a wild caught animal than to pay someone such as bert who breeds the animal in captivity. this ravages the wild populations tho. i firmly belieive pet export countries like china should follow suit to australia and argentina in shutting down the pet export trade which depopulates the wild. we in the united states should be self sufficient in breeding our current captive populations to keep the reptile hobby going. after all if you dont keep your reptiles in good enough conditions for breeding, they are prolly in substandard conditions anyway and you shouldnt have them. thats my theory.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Reptiles and all animals should only be allowed to be sold by federally protected breeders in my opinion. The ADBA should be the only place to get dogs and one specifically for reptiles should be the only place to get reptiles. It's very simple.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
bah, you guys should visit this website, it's a Korean website where every Korean Reptile lovers come to buy reptiles at a horrifying price, here's alittle clue about the price $100 American=$10,000 Korean
Please look through the comments of each animals that they have up for sale, I'll be more than happy to translate these comments, it's very pathatic and it's not even funny, they're animals look healthy, but the last time I've been there, all their animals were housed in a different habitat and looked close to dying

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.reptilehouse.co.kr/index.php">http://www.reptilehouse.co.kr/index.php</a><!-- m -->

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
snakehandler said:
But you could say that China as a whole doesn't do much to protect its wildlife or to stop wildlife trade in it's country.
Which is a shame.

That's a valid point.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
nat said:
snakehandler said:
Which is a shame.

yes definately, and it is an issue that they definately need to address and an issue that the rest of the world needs to be working with them (or pressuring them) to address.. I just think its hypocritical to say something like "China is stupid" when we would essentially be the pot calling the kettle black in the sense that were are a lot of things we are doing as a community that are arguably just as bad.

yes maybe but China is a lot worse in many respects.
At least we have some laws regarding wildlife trade.
so i think its not wrong to point a finger at that.

nat

5 Year Member
I agree, I just think that we need to also look at the larger picture and realize that while we might be ranting about how wrong they are... we are supporting them with our pocketbooks. China is the leading exporter of furs and America is one of the leading consumers of furs... so while we shake our heads at them, "us" as a collective group still condone the behavior. Personally I think its BS that they get to host the olympics ... I think that ought to be reserved for countries that are able to demonstrate that they are leaders in the world for human and environmental health and not pillagers of it.

COWHER

5 Year Member
I didn't mean to say ALL of China. I was merely pointing to the majority I am in no way racist!!! also I hate Western culture just as much as the far east culture just in different ways...

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
One last thing to consider is that China is growing into a super power. When we (Americans) were rising as a society, there wasn't much in the way of ecological awareness. Nobody came around and said hey you can't use coal burning factories or demolish old growth forests. Now, that China is transforming into a powerful country in the world, I'm sure they feel somewhat entitled to do whatever heightens their global status.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
shiftylarry said:
One last thing to consider is that China is growing into a super power. When we (Americans) were rising as a society, there wasn't much in the way of ecological awareness. Nobody came around and said hey you can't use coal burning factories or demolish old growth forests. Now, that China is transforming into a powerful country in the world, I'm sure they feel somewhat entitled to do whatever heightens their global status.

eating turtles isnt one of those things.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
shiftylarry said:
Dude, go to Lousiana. They eat turtle soup like it was going out of style.

Probably, I live in europe though.
i dont think its very civilised to eat endangered species when there are alternatives. Same goes for shark fin soup.
Or traditional medicine made out of endangered animals.
We are just consuming the planet like there is no tomorrow.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
COWHER said:
I hate Western culture just as much as the far east culture just in different ways...

heheh, sounds a bit unpatriotic......actually, sounds like me!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced