• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

very agressive young iguana

Kimmie

today my boyfriends baby iguana bited me really hard, this is a a big problem for me since i havnt had any animals who have been agressive for more then some days but this guy he just wouldnt stop he keeps biting keep hiting and keep trying to say "i am the boss" even my ferret bited me only for 2days. any tips please sorry to say it but he is a ******* please help.

new2tegus

Feed him to your gu lol....just kidding. I'd get some gloves to be honest. I had a large iguana, and he never tried to bite me,but their claws can be painful too. So I'd invest in some gloves, and one of those rocks that help to trim down the nails some. You can try the shirt in the tank with your smell on it trick. Also when you approach him, how do you do it. Is this a top entry tank? Try giving him food and time, that's about all I can offer, it's been a while since I've had an iguana, mine was fairly laid back, until I let him go outside on a leash haha.

Logie_Bear

When I used to have my ig the key to his affections were through his stomach. If you are the bringer of tasty treats then he'll start to change his attitude around you. Mine's favorite treats were strawberries and hibiscus flowers. We were actually able to litter train him with strawberries. Best of luck with the little guy. Ig's can be real dicks when they want to be. :p

Kimmie

The cage is higher then me even when I stand on a a box I cant see over it I try to do it as ppl say with the hand from down under him but he bites me so I have to go to his head first so he cant im not afriad of his tail or his bite but im afriad of hurting him when I open his mouth to take my finger out, I try to be the one giving him food more, I will try that. I guess he s just being a **** :p I hope he change lol

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I used to work with an exceptionally belligerent iguana named Romeo. He was a green demon, lashing out with tooth, talon, and tail at anyone who came within reach. His defense against intrusion was to go on the offensive. Before I started working at the museum, nobody could handle him without getting bloodied. Having been mauled twice by Romeo, I sympathize with you. If you are bent on interacting with your iggy, get some gloves until it trusts you more. If you can't scoop him up form underneath or we wont willingly crawl onto your hand, DO NOT grab him by the head or tail; he will likely try to tear you open if you do. Are you 100% sure your iggy is male? Males are typically more aggressive than females; iggys can also turn aggro if they're housed in too small enclosures, so make sure your guy has enough room to move around and grow. Make sure to thoroughly wash any bites, as you can get very sick from an iggy bite.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu