• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Vacuum sealers for frozen food items?

Odonata

I suspect many of us buy food in bulk for our tegus. I struggle a bit with keeping the food fresh for longer periods of time in the freezer, and am considering investing in a vacuum sealer. They are a little more expensive than I was expecting and was just wondering if others had any comments on using them for prolonging the freshness of food items in the freezer. In general as devices they seem to get good reviews.

Last year when my tegu decided to hibernate I was left with a lot of frozen food, much of which became badly freezer burnt over the winter.

Odonata

Thought I would just post an update on this for anyone interested. I purchases a Foodsaver 3880 from Costco (have to love Costco warranty on these types of devices!). The device works well and is simple to use. My only real comment from a functional standpoint is that if you have an entire freezer/box of food to turn into nice vacuum sealed portions set aside some time. It both takes time to actually go through the process, and the unit itself requires some cooling if you try to run it continuously (you will get an error light indicating numerous things apparently, but typically indicating the unit is over heating). It could be there are more heavy duty or commercial units that do not experience this problem. Overall though I am very pleased with the purchase. With Shadow going into hibernation it was a timely investment.

Skeetzy

I use zip lock portion bags combined with their vacuum bags. Has a little hand pump that makes the packages vacuum sealed. Little bit of work everyday resealing the bags, but that's my favorite part; they're resealable and affordable. They've helped a LOT with the freezer burn.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu