• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

UVB

brad67

5 Year Member
what amount of microwatts of UVB does a tegu need? A fixture i am getting has either 25 microwatts of UVB or 50. I am not using a screen.

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
To be honest I don't think anyone can tell you the exact amount The usual MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) produces on average 250 uW/cm2 ( I think!) anything higher then that and it becomes very dangerous and the animal can get photoconjunctivites (spelling?) It's where the animal refuses to open its eyes because it hurts them to much, and it does require immediate vet attention to my knowledge.

I would say stay in the range of 50-200 uW/cm2 though for your bulb.

Here is a link that might help you out. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.uvguide.co.uk/whatreptilesneed.htm">http://www.uvguide.co.uk/whatreptilesneed.htm</a><!-- m -->

Hope that helps

Spencer

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I believe microwatts is referring to the output of the bulb, is that correct? PinkPunisher, you are referring to the wavelength frequency contained within light. Then some bulbs report their output in a percentage format (8.0, 10.0).

If you are looking at 25 microwatts, are you using a coiled or compact bulb? I would be cautious, as they have been inferior in the past. They either put out only UVA, or cross over and emit UVC as well. That is what leads to photo-kerato-conjunctivitis. Basically, UVC destroys cell DNA and causes skin cell damage and damge to the eyes as well. nasty, nasty stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029