• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

UVB Help?

Khia

Hey guys,
I’m getting close to being done with my tegus enclosure build and was trying to order lighting. Would anyone be able to tell me or send me a link to (10.0) UVB bulbs that would fit in a 4ft T5 fixture?
(included pics of a bulb that fits in it)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

Khia

Thank you,
It’ll probably be about 2-3ft from basking site and I think I’m using 2 bulbs. Using halogen for basking lamp.

Attachments

• 5E1AA082-12AF-44B1-B5F8-3356B06EF5F9.jpeg
    5E1AA082-12AF-44B1-B5F8-3356B06EF5F9.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

Millwright/Welder

If you go with the Arcadia 14% I’m fairly confident using 2 uvb tubs will be to much uvb. Personally I would use one of the 14% tubes and then a standard cool white or even a grown light if you are placing any plants in the enclosure. I run a twin tube fixture in my planted Chameleon enclosure. One uvb and the second tube is for freshwater aquarium plant growth.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Considering the distance, it is probably best to use at least 2 UVB producing bulbs. UVB does 2 functions for reptiles, most are aware of the first - photoreacting vitamin D3 so that it becomes a more biologically useful molecule. However, this molecule can still potentially have unwanted effects if it gets too high in tissues. The second function is it further reacts with that product to turn it into 2 other compounds, lumisterol and tachysterol, which are basically inert although the one is believed to fight tumor growth. The regular first reaction can take place without UVB but takes a much longer time, UVB of even weak intensity helps facilitate a faster rate of reaction. The second reaction, producing lumisterol and tachysterol, appear to work better with higher intensities of UVB.
But there's another consideration to take into account: you have a bank of lights. Although it likely can function without a full complement of bulbs, unless it has an individual ballast for each bulb (highly unlikely), running it without the full complement of bulbs will shorten the lifespan of the ballast.

Khia

If you go with the Arcadia 14% I’m fairly confident using 2 uvb tubs will be to much uvb. Personally I would use one of the 14% tubes and then a standard cool white or even a grown light if you are placing any plants in the enclosure. I run a twin tube fixture in my planted Chameleon enclosure. One uvb and the second tube is for freshwater aquarium plant growth.
I was just coming on here to say I think I want to use some type of tube LED for plants in the other side, omg. Thank you for answering my question before I even asked it, lol!

Khia

Considering the distance, it is probably best to use at least 2 UVB producing bulbs. UVB does 2 functions for reptiles, most are aware of the first - photoreacting vitamin D3 so that it becomes a more biologically useful molecule. However, this molecule can still potentially have unwanted effects if it gets too high in tissues. The second function is it further reacts with that product to turn it into 2 other compounds, lumisterol and tachysterol, which are basically inert although the one is believed to fight tumor growth. The regular first reaction can take place without UVB but takes a much longer time, UVB of even weak intensity helps facilitate a faster rate of reaction. The second reaction, producing lumisterol and tachysterol, appear to work better with higher intensities of UVB.
But there's another consideration to take into account: you have a bank of lights. Although it likely can function without a full complement of bulbs, unless it has an individual ballast for each bulb (highly unlikely), running it without the full complement of bulbs will shorten the lifespan of the ballast.
I honestly know nothing about that. I’m almost certain only 2/4 parts of this fixture works which is why I’m limited to using two bulbs with it. In your opinion would it be better to just get a whole new fixture? How many UVB tubes and how many LED tubes (for plants) would you recommend?

Khia

Hey guys,
I’m getting close to being done with my tegus enclosure build and was trying to order lighting. Would anyone be able to tell me or send me a link to (10.0) UVB bulbs that would fit in a 4ft T5 fixture?
(included pics of a bulb that fits in it)
Forgot to ask, when using a 4ft fixture, what size bulb do I get? I’m confused about 48in or 46in, etc.

Millwright/Welder

Forgot to ask, when using a 4ft fixture, what size bulb do I get? I’m confused about 48in or 46in, etc.
This is my personal opinion. I would only use one 15% UV bulb in a 4 foot fixture based on your cage dimensions. If it is a 2 tube fixture I would use some sort of plant bulb in the second spot.
As far as your question on tube length. A high output 4 foot fixture uses 46“ T-5 tubes. The 5 is the diameter in mm. All T-5 HO Bulbs in the 46” length will be 54 watts.
The Home Depot‘s in the Cleveland area still carry a twin tube T5 high output fixture. I say check your local Home Depot. Then buy a spare ballast for future use when it craps out. All ballasts will eventually quit. But This way it is repairable. That could be anywhere from 2-10 years. If you go this route All you will need to add is a reflector.
please ignore any bad grammar or run on sentences as I’m getting ready to punch out at work and using talk to text.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980