• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

uva/uvb florescent light strengths, etc

kparker

5 Year Member
I've seen 2.0, 5.0 and 10.0. Which would I use, the 5.0? I'm assuming the 10.0 wouldn't hurt but isn't necessary? Also, which suppliments should I use, if anyone could name what they give theirs, I would appreciate it.

Srakha

5 Year Member
I think the main difference between these bulbs is the depth to which the uvb goes into the cage. 10.0 goes the farthest, I think that one is 12+ inches down. The 5.0 is the next best, probably about 8-12 inches down. I would use a 5.0 for a ten gallon sized cage, and a 10.0 for a 20 gallon or larger. For huge cages like for adult tegus, I would actually use the more expensive powersun type bulbs instead, IMO.

kparker

5 Year Member
Really? I thought it had to do with the amounts they gave off. I have a vision tank that I was going to start a small tegu off in. I figured I'd run a florescent light on top and use a basking type bulb in the allowed slot. I guess I could just use one Mercury Vapor bulb, the powersun's I hear are good. Do I just need that one bulb or is additional uva/uvb recommended? Do these bulbs get hotter than regular basking bulbs? I've never used them. The issue with the Vision cage is that the heat lamp sits down maybe 8 inches from ground level, so would 100 watts from 6-8 inches away fry a little tegu?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The 10.0, 5.0 & 2.0 is the percentage of the output. So a 10.0 has 10% of the wattage output of the light as UVB. The amount of light getting to the reptile is affected by the screen on top of the tank it has to go through. 50% of the output could be lost with the standard fine screen on tanks. A MVB is best for hatchlings & young growing Tegu's. A 100W MVB gives off just the right amount of heat at 12" away (don't put them any closer). Adult Tegu's don't require much UVB, some say none, but we give our ReptiSun 10.0's at 14" away.

For basking heat I use the heavy duty outdoor halogen floor lights, PAR38, 6000 hour life, 75W or 90W from Home Depot. They give off much more heat than a standard incandescent basking bulb.

Tux

5 Year Member
Use the 10, even better get an MVB if possible. Is the 10.0 or better needed yes it sure is. The difference between the bulbs is the uvb output, the distance in which you get effective uvb is impacted based on the amount of uvb output.

Just look at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttuberesults.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttuberesults.htm</a><!-- m -->

8" with a MVB would fry any animal, should be fine with a tube.

Also dave "the right amount of heat" won't be given at 12" for everyone it depends on variables like enclosure type, ambient temp etc. The # on the tubes is supposed to be the uvb based on the wattage % but we all know that is inaccurate and generally totally worthless.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan