• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Update on the bed/cage

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
To start off i haven't been able to take pictures because my dad left his camera at the car rental. (He travels a lot for work, but he said they have it waiting for him for the next time he goes down there) I've been sleeping on it since and it works fine, it's as sturdy as a ox.

I have ran into a few snags so far though, like for example all 4 posts were accidently slightly taller then the frame so i had to use a handsaw to cut them down to size and my sides are incredibly weak for weight being pushed on them. The problem with the sides is that i only have 1 post for them to be screwed into which happens to be in the middle! but i know how I'm going to fix it.

I'm still not quite sure how i want to seal it, but I'm leaning more and more to a pond liner then putting some sticky tiles onto it to protect it from being torn apart by the inhabitant and for the rest that wont be covered by pond liner I'm thinking linoleum flooring sheets.

My only other problem that i had was that i bought to thin of plywood, i wasn't paying much attention and accidently agreed to buying barely even 1 cm think plywood but lucky for me I have so much support on the back and front i don't have to worry about it splitting under the weight of the substrate.

The reason why i haven't finished yet is due to the fact that I'm 15 and didn't have a job before i started this project and quickly ran out of funds to pay for it lol. I now have around $500 in my account which will easily pay for the rest.

Spencer

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I used 3/8" (just under 1cm) plywood on the bottom of mine. It's screwed to the bottom of a 2x4 frame and is plenty stiff enough to hold 15 cubic feet of cypress mulch. My wife made me add a couple of 1" square tubing braces just in case.

I used vinyl sheet flooring that was on clearance. It only cost $18 each. I glued it down with vinyl flooring cement (alot of work) and sealed the seams with silicone caulk.

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
I spent $220 on linoleum yesterday! Then also $160 at Home Depot for Caulking, Plexiglass, Wood, Timers and a giant Rubbermaid Bin for feeding time LOL Glad it turns out i had $700 in my account.

So today i got all the linoleum in, tomorrow i caulk everything and then thursday i get the doors on. Then i have to wait at least 2 days for everything to dry up and then i can throw in the bedding :-D So I'm hoping to have to all done and be ready for Alice by monday.

Now my only problem is if i wanna buy the second tegu and introduce them when i have the big cage done or not Alice a buddy :jes

Spencer

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
LOL It's deffinatly worth it in my eyes as it gives me room for a much bigger bed :D and makes room for favouritest little lizard lol

Spencer

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You really seem enthusiastic about geting your cage/bed built! I wish I had the money, time, and space to build it right now....also, i don't think I want a chacoan-sized enclosure in my bedroom...I have the smallest room in the house :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan