• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Update on my tegu Link, and his enclosure

G

Hey guys!

It's been a while since I posted about my Tegu Link. He's probably between 6 and 8 months old now, and around 22 inches. He just went through a great shed, and is looking great! He still has some odd swelling around his vent- and I have to wonder at this point if it's just some kind of deformity that I didn't notice when I first got him. The antibiotics he was on didn't seem to do anything, and he hasn't had any problems with eating or impaction. He poops like a champ! XD

I considered that it might be an issue with humidity, and stuck sheds, and I designed a special humidity hide for him in his enclosure. I got a gallon (or larger) sized plastic bottle, cleaned it out very thoroughly, sawed off the small opening, so it has a hole large enough for him to climb into (and filed the edges so they aren't sharp!) and cut a hole in the top of the bottle (top laying down) so that the tube for the fogger goes directly into the bottle. The bottle is filled with a layer of cypress mulch and sphagnum moss, and the fogger helps keep everything moist, and also provides extra humidity for the entire cage.

I do plan on getting blood tests done on him when I can afford them (which should be soon, now that I'm not stuck between jobs!) and hopefully that will give me more answers as to his overall health. I've also increased the amount of rodents I give him. I found a great local supplier of healthy mice that I feel I can trust, so whole food has become even more of a staple for him now. I also give him quail eggs, and fish off and on. Once fresh fruit and veggies are back in season, I'll be seeing what I can do about getting him to go omnivore :)

I've been researching a lot about phosphorus to calcium ratio, and I'm working hard to get him a good diet where I don't have to rely on calcium or vitamin powders.

Here's a couple of videos for you too :)
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn-Nk61dKXg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn-Nk61dKXg</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTzreT-RwIU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTzreT-RwIU</a><!-- m -->

G

I enjoyed the videos !!

I like what you did with the painting [COOL!!!!!!}

Welcome back to the forum ...

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Great videos, it looks like you have the base set up for a very happy Tegu...

Even though you know he is going to grow very quickly this summer, you are going to be shocked!

I believe your 6x2x2 will be fine for him until this time next year. Just a thought to keep in mind. It's quite obvious you care a lot about Link and are willing to do what it takes to keep him happy/healthy. It's inspiring to see such caring Tegu owners out there!

G

Toby_H said:
Great videos, it looks like you have the base set up for a very happy Tegu...

I believe your 6x2x2 will be fine for him until this time next year. Just a thought to keep in mind. It's quite obvious you care a lot about Link and are willing to do what it takes to keep him happy/healthy. It's inspiring to see such caring Tegu owners out there!

Thanks Toby! I've learned a lot about cage building, and a ridiculous amount about waterproofing an enclosure. I've got a friend who does woodworking, so when the time comes, I'll commission her to build me a bigger enclosure :) I've also designed a "dream enclosure" ( <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://kebechett.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps#/d38yr00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://kebechett.deviantart.com/gallery ... s#/d38yr00</a><!-- m --> ) that I've considered having built once I know I'm in a more "permanent" living situation. It has some kinks to work out (ignore the light for example, that was me just showing off with 3d modeling in Google Sketchup) but hopefully someday I'll have a gigantic viv for him to roam around in.

Kebechet

Link is doing great, and starting to really grow fast! He just shed a couple of days ago, and only has a little bit left on his tail. He's already just about two feet, and was 22 inches the previous time I measured him. He's my little scaly shoulder angel :)

scaly_shoulder_angel_by_kebechett-d3c9d81.jpg

Kebechet

Link is now 27 inches Oo' it seems like it practically happened overnight. He outgrew his step-in reptile harness (which he hated anyway) so I got him a small dog collar, which he doesn't mind wearing at all! :D

lizard_bling_by_kebechett-d3d385z.jpg

Yes, Link now has Bling XD

Kebechet

The dog collar didn't work out as planned. It's still a little too big for him. So I had a custom harness made by an awesome ebay seller. It fits him great, and he looks pretty awesome in it! I'm going to leave it on him when he's free-roaming for a few days, so he can get used to it. Then I'll start working on his leash training again.

215258_10150162057748190_500503189_6601704_1462813_n.jpg

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Aww thats awesome! I need to try to get mine used to a harness for summer. Looking good, looks healthy

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
lol,cool harness,i don't see one reason why he would not like it! He looks happy. I can't wait to see some outside pics of him with that on.

Kebechet

Link started shedding yesterday. He's about half-way done now, but I figured he could use a nice long, warm soak in the tub. He almost looks like a little crocodile ^^

bathtime_by_kebechett-d3dxwz7.jpg

Apparently he couldn't decide whether it was bathtime, or naptime. XD I've always thought it interesting that he has these light blue eyelids. I've never noticed that in other tegu pictures.

bathtime_or_naptime__by_kebechett-d3dxxpx.jpg

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So my girl and I were lounging on the couch, each with a laptop in our laps, sipping coffee watching TV...

I scrolled down to the above pics and she ssssqqqqquuuuueeeeeelllllllleeeeeddddd!!!!!! and stared giggling...

adorable......

Kebechet

Toby_H said:
So my girl and I were lounging on the couch, each with a laptop in our laps, sipping coffee watching TV...

I scrolled down to the above pics and she ssssqqqqquuuuueeeeeelllllllleeeeeddddd!!!!!! and stared giggling...

adorable......

At first, I had this image in my head of you with a tegu on the couch. Then I got to the part about you each having a laptop and sipping coffee, and the image became a bit too ridiculous, and I realized what you were actually saying XD

Glad you guys like the photos! Link is currently napping under the fridge, or I'd try to get more!

herpgirl2510

I love the harness nwhat a great bathing picture. I cannot believe how fast they grow. Mine is only 15" I can't wait to see his/her growth this summer.

Kebechet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKB__rnaHqA

Link is 30 inches long now! :D

I also did some more work on his enclosure today. I know that the cypress mulch is supposed to be ideal, but I was having problems with it. Link has some kind of swelling around his vent (I've been to the vet, It's not a prolapse, or MBD, and at this point I think it's a weird deformity.) He was getting pieces stuck in his vent (not from eating it) so I've switched to a special organic topsoil since it's softer, and will hold humidity well.

Free roaming isn't a problem with him, since our routine with free roaming is that he gets put in the tub before he's allowed to roam, so that he doesn't soil the carpet. So I'm not worried about him getting the carpet dirty :)

He's even starting to learn commands now. We're starting with "wait" because he has this tendency to want to bolt up my arm when I reach down to get him out of the tub. Or I'll pick him up, and he might thrash a little, because he wants to go to my shoulder, or put down. I'll hold him gently, but firmly, and tell him "wait" in those cases. He's started to associate "wait" with being still, and then getting what he wants. It's much easier to get him out of the bathtub and up to my shoulder with this tactic.

I think Tegus are smart, but need to have incentive to actually listen to and learn commands. Food is definitely a motivator, but Link isn't really big enough for training with treats yet. :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was thinking about switching over to dirt/soil mix to save money, but I'm afraid it will be too heavy. Can you post some pics of your enclosure with the topsoil?

Kebechet

james.w said:
I was thinking about switching over to dirt/soil mix to save money, but I'm afraid it will be too heavy. Can you post some pics of your enclosure with the topsoil?

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1865.JPG

It's definitely heavy, but if you've got a sturdy cage, it shouldn't be a problem. The enclosure Link has, was a buffet table originally :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980