• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

twiching tegu emergency

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The quick answer:

Usually twitching is a sign of calcium deficiency. Seeing as you are in Miami, find a way to get the tegu in some natural sunlight for proper Vit D from the sun's UV. A couple of hours for a few days in a row should do wonders. Meanwhile, supplement his food with a sprinkle of calcium without phosphorous and without D3 (like Rep-Cal). You didn't indicate the size of your tegu, but if he can eat a F/T mouse that has bones (hopper size or larger), that would be a plus.

Now evaluate the environment:

Is the tegu kept at proper temperatures in the enclosure? what are they?

Does it have a good quality UV bulb? No coils/compact...what kind is it, how old is it, where is it placed?

What are you feeding the tegu? Insects, pinkies, and organ meats are high in phosphorous and low in calcium

Are you giving any supplements? Currently recommendations are products that have vitamins and calcium separately, calcium without phosphorous and without D3

Of course, nothing takes the place of a vet visit for oral calcium gluconate and a check-up.

reptilerookie

5 Year Member
thanks alot guys for the info but i made an apointment for the vet to get him a shot of calcuim and they also said to get some stuff called bone aid

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bone aid is just the brand name of T-Rex's calcium supplement. Just make sure it doesn't have phosphorous. Also, sunlight and UV bulbs are the next component in healing because he's gotta have Vit D to complete the calcium metabolism process.

Good luck and glad to see you found a vet.

EG6

5 Year Member
My tegu went thru da same issue...it wud twitch when it wud just bask...then it wasn't walkin rite at all...I just but extra vitamin D on everything he ate...within a couple days 2 a week he was betta..just keep an eye out on him..

reptilerookie

5 Year Member
well hes doing ok now i had him out side to get some real sunlight and ive been using the bone aid so hopefully he will be ok

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan