• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tub time

JesseB

Does anyone else's Tegu hate soaking in the tub? I use warm water, but not scalding. I don't fill it high only a couple inches, enough for him to still stand in.

Eventually he calms down and each time it's easier but man he constantly scrambles at the side of the bath to try and get out.

He does not appear to enjoy soaking as much as many other reptiles I have kept do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cab5392

Sometimes mine closes her eyes and relaxes, and other times she goes in a fit of non-stop scratching at the sides. Very persistent critter.

dpjm

5 Year Member
If the bath water feels warm to your touch then it is uncomfortably warm for your tegu when you first introduce him into the bath. That is why he is not enjoying baths at first and then calms down eventually.

Only put your tegu in a bath after basking so they have a nice warm body temperature already, then the bath water temp won't be such a shock. Use water temp that is neutral to your touch.

Trede

I've found that shooting the temp gun at the tegu, then shooting it at the water and aiming for a couple degrees higher in the water makes for a very happy relaxed tegu (see picture in "my tegu is weird" thread)

dpjm

5 Year Member
I've found that shooting the temp gun at the tegu, then shooting it at the water and aiming for a couple degrees higher in the water makes for a very happy relaxed tegu (see picture in "my tegu is weird" thread)

That's what I was trying to get at, the water temp can't be drastically warmer than the tegu or it will be a shock. That's a good way to check. I would still only do a bath when the tegu is warm (has basked recently) or the temp of the bathwater will have to be cooler than you might want.

JesseB

Cool, ty guys. Thinking back on it the times he has been calm in the bath have been post basking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980