• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tragic news about Grand Cayman Blue Iguana recovery project

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I received this information yesterday afternoon.

"It is with tremendous sadness that I'm posting this. I received this notification from John this afternoon. This is another blow to BIRP, as in 2006, 3 founder animals were killed by stray dogs. This violence is senseless, initated by humans.

"Horrific news from the Blue Iguana Recovery Program that occurred last night May 3rd, 2008.

Vandals broke into the Blue Iguana Breeding Facility last night and violently killed at least five of the most prominent captive Blue Iguanas.

Listed of the known dead are:

Eldemire
Sara
Digger
Yellow
Pedro

Other Blues have been injured but to what extent is yet unknown. Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Â¦Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??BillyÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢ and Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Â¦Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??JessicaÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
That is sad. My question is how can they let them be exposed to stray dogs and vandals. Those reptiles should have been kept like the Jewels they are . Sounds like to me someone else should be saving them. From what I gather from things. Sounds like someone is mad at who ever is supposed to be providing care for them. That sounds like something someone would do to get back at someone. Things like this are why we have to protect ourselves from stupid people.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
This is why I'm a proud and active member of the NRA, I have 2 9mm, a .45, a 30-06, and a 12awg in my home. Human beings are the most dangerous animals on this planet.

rule6660

5 Year Member
Now thats horable!!!! i dont see how people could harm an animal??? i cant even yell at a dog for P*ssing on the carpet!! thats just wronge!!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
This is why I'm a proud and active member of the NRA, I have 2 9mm, a .45, a 30-06, and a 12awg in my home. Human beings are the most dangerous animals on this planet.

I'm licensed to use shotguns, not hand guns....more effective, but harder to run around with. My license is for hunting purposes (which I haven't done in a few years) but the guns are still there. Fyi,even though I don't hunt anymore, when I did hunt, all I was hunting were waterfowl, and we only hunted what we ate.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Added by Jif.. don't want to step on your toes, Puffy, but I just want to warn that this press release includes a disturbing photo that will be very upsetting to most people.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.blueiguana.ky">http://www.blueiguana.ky</a><!-- m -->

Link to the Official Press Release issued by BIRP.

My heart goes out to all the individuals who have spent countless hours trying to save this species. To have progess put to a sudden hault like this has no words. Hopefully everyone has the strength to keep pushing forward.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
It disgusts me to know that the human race will always have many more barbaric idiots than true civilized people. RIP Eldemire, Sara, Digger, Yellow, Pedro, and Jessica. You will be missed!

CoexistExotics

5 Year Member
I just don't know why anyone would kill an animal for fun. What really angers me is the fact that they killed animals that were in a facility for breeding because they needed to be saved from extinction. If these kids are found, I really hope they get a fair sentence, because what really angers me is the fact that animal cruelty isn't taken as seriously as it should be by the law.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are not any words that describe how bad, sad and sick this is. I do not understand people in this world today, so many that have no respect and have no care for anything that is good, in my opinion it takes a real rotten person to act like this, and I do wonder if there is any good in them at all.

I am sorry for our loss, and it is our loss, these people have taken them from all of us. I just have hopes that the very few that are left can be saved and they do not disappear forever. Too bad these monsters that did this are not as rare; it would not be any loss at all if they went extinct.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
wow that is terrible.

so how many of these amazing animals are left for the breeding project?

i hate people that have no respect for animals. this species could become extinct now because of what they did right?.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
What I don't fucking get is how these people seem to think this is a loss to the people who were trying to perpetuate the species. This is a loss to everyone! Ugh it drives me fucking crazy!

desiree

5 Year Member
Thank you for all your concern! IRCF is working with BIRP daily through this tragedy. I will relay the questions and concerns and hopefully receive feedback as time allows it. IRCF and BIRP have been at this non-stop since Sunday morning.

Feel free to email me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

des.

desiree

5 Year Member
The BIRP website has been updated to reflect the latest news, blogs, and radio interviews (Fred Burton), as well as accept comments from the community.

To my knowledge, Pedro's body has not been found; there are now four injured iguanas recovering: Billy, Elwood, Archie and Matthias.

Information: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.blueiguana.ky">http://www.blueiguana.ky</a><!-- m -->
Donation portal: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.IRCF.org">http://www.IRCF.org</a><!-- m -->

Thank you everyone for their continued support and please continue to spread the news.
des

Beazer

5 Year Member
Such an endangered species should most definitely have watchmen at night around the island. I wouldn't doubt it if it ended up being linked to a developer who wants the territory. Very sad. I hope whoever is responsible will be killed.

-Jon DeLong

chriz

5 Year Member
it truely sad 2 know that there is such sad low life people in this world it makes me sick 2 think that they wud get any amont of fun out of what they done they will be the people in the future 2 moan about thier children not having beautiful anmals 2 see in the wild when when they r the w****** who helped destroy ne chance of helping them recover our childres childer 2 enjoy .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029