• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Towel for substrate?

nessanicolle

Has anyone used towels for a substrate? it seems like a good option because you can wash it and its easy to replace.. I know tegus love digging so if you could layer the towel would that work? just askin'.

And not to mention it cant cause impaction.

casey15

Towels would not work, they'd get caught on the nails and they can't hold a burrow. They would also become wet due to the humidity levels in the cage. Layering would not work. If you don't like Cypress Mulch just use a pesticide free topsoil. It's very cheap for 40 pound bags. It holds humidity pretty well, you could add playsand to help keep the burrow shape.

Neeko

If cost isn't an option maybe just shred newspaper or paper towels, make sure ink is safe. I think newspaper is but not sure.

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
Check out my thread on bioactive substrate;
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=11961#axzz21LHCsjZd
if thats not feasible or practical for you, I recommend a soil and sand mixture. Its holds humidity and a burrow well, and they wont (typically) try to ingest it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu