• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tortoise

Azaleah

5 Year Member
I've heard that leopard tortoises make great pets, however I am quite partial to the Sulcatas. One of my friends has 2 leopard tortoises and they are her only herps she's ever kept, and they are very friendly.

Overall, though, I think tortoises tend to be a very tameable type of animal.

And I wish I had more information on Canada, but I am in the US, so I really don't know where to get one. I think there is a Canada portion of kingsnake.com though.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have kept African Spur Thighs (Sulcatas) and although they are very tameable, you really have to start early, or they don't (in my experience) tame very well (at least not easily.)

bored_gurl9023

5 Year Member
Go for a Russian or a Hermanns. They stay fairly small and are very hardy. They are my easiest two. Leopards make great tortoises but they are shy and sometimes they will not have anything to do with you, unlike the Russian who will follow you around.

Beazer

5 Year Member
If you do decide tortoises look more into russian tortoises or smaller species. Sulcatas are definitely great and so are the leopards but they are going to get big and none housable indoors (under right care they grow fairly fast). The russians stay small and they have a loooot of personality, breed easy (lol extremely eager to breed) and you can build a suitable house for them indoors. Im just assuming indoors because you are from Quebec and I imagine itd be hard to keep a warm area year round. Though, also I talk down big tortoises because I use to have to pick them up from people aaalll the time because of how destructive they are and drop them off at a tortoise rescue. Most definitely though, get a russian and make whats called a tortoise table. They make attractive displays, real easy to adjust the heat lamps for the right heat and to make, you can supply a sufficient amount of substrate, customize it to your needs, and also for its size its cheaper than petshop housing options for torts. Other than Russians and Hermans tortoises, Greeks are another good option.

(pic I found on google to give you an idear)
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc165/rainmoose/torttablewithplants1.jpg">http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc16 ... lants1.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Is there anything in particular you are looking at? As in size, type (frog, newt, snake, lizard, gecko), how much are you looking to spend, and does the size of the cage matter?

-Jon DeLong

argus333

5 Year Member
i have 2 leopards a male and female the male will follow me around eat out of my hand let me pet his head and loves to push around a ball in his pen. the female is nice too she comes over when im in the pen but she is a little shy. i had a 90lb sulcata who was also very nice but no where nere the pesonality of the leopards.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Beazer said:
If you do decide tortoises look more into russian tortoises or smaller species. Sulcatas are definitely great and so are the leopards but they are going to get big and none housable indoors (under right care they grow fairly fast). The russians stay small and they have a loooot of personality, breed easy (lol extremely eager to breed) and you can build a suitable house for them indoors. Im just assuming indoors because you are from Quebec and I imagine itd be hard to keep a warm area year round. Though, also I talk down big tortoises because I use to have to pick them up from people aaalll the time because of how destructive they are and drop them off at a tortoise rescue. Most definitely though, get a russian and make whats called a tortoise table. They make attractive displays, real easy to adjust the heat lamps for the right heat and to make, you can supply a sufficient amount of substrate, customize it to your needs, and also for its size its cheaper than petshop housing options for torts. Other than Russians and Hermans tortoises, Greeks are another good option.

(pic I found on google to give you an idear)
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc165/rainmoose/torttablewithplants1.jpg">http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc16 ... lants1.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Is there anything in particular you are looking at? As in size, type (frog, newt, snake, lizard, gecko), how much are you looking to spend, and does the size of the cage matter?

-Jon DeLong

Yeah, my...well, now more my father's Sulcatas are HUGE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus