• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tokay aggression.

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
so, i have 3 tokay's supposedly one male and two females, last night i watched the largest one (the Male) fly across his tank to latch onto what i thought was a female and eat a section of her tail which i now realize is allmost up to her back legs making me think it's a smaller male. i hadn't seen her in a while, i just thought she was a good hider. now i see that she hasn't been eating and has no tail, he/she isn't going to last much longer. very underweight.

so, are male tokays mean to females? or does the fact that he's being a **** mean i have two males?

i'm gonna pull the one thats getting tore-up out when i get home. problem is i don't have an avalible tank for him.

i have a 20l dubia roach tank. high humidity but atleast he'd fatten up in there. you think roaches could harm a tokay?

Tux

5 Year Member
Kharnifex said:
so, are male tokays mean to females? or does the fact that he's being a xxxx mean i have two males?

It wouldn't be the 1st time a male has attacked a female but it could be either or scenario

i'm gonna pull the one thats getting tore-up out when i get home. problem is i don't have an avalible tank for him.

Always have a extra tank when keeping anything together incase something like this happens.

i have a 20l dubia roach tank. high humidity but atleast he'd fatten up in there. you think roaches could harm a tokay?

Roaches could harm him yes, no matter what it will stress him out not to mention you would need to turn the 20L on it's side so theirs climbing space.

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
i usually use a large bucket for incompatibility issues, these guys are the first reptiles i've owned with the ability to climb smooth surfaces.

i'm thinking i'm going to buy another 20l on my way home. it seems like this problem escaped my attention early on. hopefully i can nip it in the bud before any perminant damage is inflicted.

Emmipez1989

5 Year Member
females have small calcium pouches at the back of their throat.(they store it there for egg making) when you get her out take a look into her throat, if it is mainly white she is a female, if all black its male.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029