• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tofu's enclosure!

Tofu

We just finished building Tofu's enclosure! She is happily digging around and exploring. Here are a few pictures!

She has withdrawn some from me which kind of sucks. I feel disappointed because we were making such progress and now she will thrash around whenever I pick her up. Is there a reason for this? She also started shedding but I am not sure if that has to do with anything?

Attachments

• IMAG1155-1.jpg
    IMAG1155-1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMAG1148-1.jpg
    IMAG1148-1.jpg
    981.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG1145.jpg
    IMAG1145.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 55

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Not only that but it won't hold the right amount of humidity without molding and stuff. I would recommend a sand soil mix.

Deac77

5 Year Member
I agree to change substrate.

As for her being withdrawn she's in a new enclosure probably a little stressed give her a few days

Tofu

The picture makes it look like it is all aspen shavings but there is cypress mulch in there as well, it is heavier so it sits below the aspen.

The humidity in the enclosure is at 60% right now and dips at night but not by much. I have checked it for mold over the past few days and no signs of it so far.

I do not feed her in her enclosure so there would be a very low chance of her becoming impacted, unless she is just downright eating it.

I will keep an eye on it and if problems arise I will change it.

Thank you for your input.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So do the burrows hold well in that? I disagree with your choice of substrate, but that's exactly it - your choice. You just had a handful of people tell you you'd be way better off with a different substrate yet you just seem to brush it off. There may be no problems now, but why wait.

Have fun with that red.

Tofu

Sand/soil mix like a lot of you have suggested would equal a very dirty tegu that is roaming around my room and that would definitely not be acceptable. I have tried to find 100% cypress mulch but I cannot seem to find any around here right now (the bag I had was from the person who sold her to me) so this mix is the best that I can do. I am not merely brushing off what you guys have to say; I am taking it with a grain of salt.

As for her burrows, she burrows into it fine and while it may not form a perfect burrow that can withstand tromping around on, it holds its shape well. She does not seem to have a problem with it, she usually rearranges her enclosure anyhow.

Like I have said before, I will keep an eye on her and the substrate and will make changes if necessary.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Looks good try to go to home depot or lowes to get cypress mulch or order online

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Tofu

I just don't think it is the season for it right now. It is winter here in New England and I think cypress starts coming out during the spring time. I have tried Home Depot, Lowes, Aubuchon Hardware, Amazon.com (the shipping was more than the mulch itself), Petco (too expensive) and a gardening shop near where I live..all to no avail. I think my best bet would be to just wait til spring comes around and check then..

Also, she has started charging at my hand since I have put her in her new enclosure but only when I put it in first thing in the morning..? Does this happen to anyone else?

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Thwre is a reptile stire called jungle bobs in long island that has a huge bag for 30

from Samsung Galaxy S3

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I am in n.h. too...we couldn't find any cypress mulch either at lowes or home depot or aubachon.... where in n.h. are you? I'm in Madbury (near dover/durham/lee...)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Also...you need to go to manchester reptile expo in march :) dubya and I will be there!!!

Tofu

BatGirl1 said:
I am in n.h. too...we couldn't find any cypress mulch either at lowes or home depot or aubachon.... where in n.h. are you? I'm in Madbury (near dover/durham/lee...)

Also...you need to go to manchester reptile expo in march :) dubya and I will be there!!!

Wow you are so close! I am in Newmarket, lol. Have you looked for it recently? I looked about two weeks ago.

Also, I am planning on going to the expo as well to pick up mice :)

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Yaaay! Haha. Um...no not recently because niles has been hibernating since oct. :(

I want his big enclosure all set up and ready with fresh substrate etc before he wakes up. So hopefully I'll score something good :) my tarantula has cork on bottom for drainage, then zilla jungle mix and coconut fiber mixed for substrate. I think would be terribly expensive for a 6ft enclosure.ugh

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980