• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tips,suggestions...whatever update or something like that

boonman

5 Year Member
Well Douglas is out of hibernation. Hes pretty active, he shed and hes eating A LOT. hes also changed in personality. hes very defensive, not like that lizard that runs around to chase after with your hand and pick him up, hes just doing that fight part of the whole fight or flight response.anyway hes great out of his cage, but the only way i can even get hold of him is to take him from his hide which i know is bad but otherwise he just whips and bites and puts on a big show when i get him out to feed him. hes afraid of my eyes, he freezes and his eyes get that scared look in them.pretty interesting only lizard ive had that does that gives eye contact like him so basically, who out there has a tegu that started out sketchy but eventually calmed down? tell me a story or two haha
oh and honestly don't give a sermon about anything super obvious. i dont want a care sheet, you know?

isdrake

5 Year Member
Well he clearly shows that he doesn't like that you're handling him. And taking him out of his hide will only make it worse. You will need to build up some trust with the Tegu so he will know that you're not a threat. He can go awhile without food. I think it's better not to feed him instead of taking him out from hiding. If he's hidden, let him be.

Have you tried to spend some time just sitting outside the enclosure? That helped me a lot. And then he accepts your present you can do the same thing but with the enclosure opened. Just showing him that you will not hurt him.

How is your setup? Is sounds like you only have one hide? I would recommend putting in several hides and decoration. That will probably make him feel more secure too.

Good luck. :p

boonman

5 Year Member
yea i think ill do that. patience, patience. well the entire size is 8X4 but i sectioned off about 3x3 since hes still small. hes got two hides and a bowl of mulch, plus a good amount of substrate. i dont wanna cram too much stuff in there.
yea i should just be more patient with him and follow all the little lizard rules.i mean hes not going anywhere. its all good
thanks for the advice

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phi Long